linux-pm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: TMU driver query
       [not found] <DBBPR04MB609057FF54F6A1D868438373F32C0@DBBPR04MB6090.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2020-09-03  8:59 ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2020-09-03  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tang, amitk; +Cc: linux-pm

Hi Andy,

On 03/09/2020 05:06, Andy Tang wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a query about the TMU driver.
>
> Currently our driver qoriq_thermal.c is using polling instead of
> interrupt method to report the temperature.
>
> Are there any limitations in the TMU framework if I convert it to use
> interrupt way? At least our soc supports Interrupt.

I'm not sure to understand the 'TMU framework'. I assume you meant the
qoriq sensor, right ?

> That is to say when temperature reaches to critical temperature,
> interrupt handler will take care of the situation.

Are we talking about critical or passive trip point ?

> Also if I enabled the Interrupt, what about the thermal zone? If thermal
> zone exists, both thermal zone and interrupt
>
> handler would deal with critical warning.

I'm not sure to understand your question.

The thermal zone is the software component. It does the association
between the sensor, the trip point and the cooling device.

The polling values are there to give the sampling rate.

If the sensor supports the interrupt mode, then set the polling rate to
zero, enable the interrupt for the first passive trip point temperature
and in the handler do a thermal zone update.

So when the interrupt fires, the thermal zone is updated, the
temperature is read and if it is greater than the passive trip point
then the passive polling will takeover and the mitigation will happen.

Does it answer your question ?

--
<http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro:  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
<http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |
<http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog/> Blog

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-09-03  8:59 UTC | newest]