linux-ppp.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Delayed error message
@ 2014-12-02 22:50 Rajan Craveri
From: Rajan Craveri @ 2014-12-02 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ppp

Hi, when for some reasons the connection fails
I receive a delayed message in prompt
Is there a way to avoid that delayed message?

I need keep the screen clean after boot in a museum installation.
Thanks

Rajan Craveri

* Re: Delayed error message
@ 2014-12-03 11:46 ` James Carlson
From: James Carlson @ 2014-12-03 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ppp

On 12/02/14 17:50, Rajan Craveri wrote:
> Hi, when for some reasons the connection fails
> I receive a delayed message in prompt
> Is there a way to avoid that delayed message?
>
> I need keep the screen clean after boot in a museum installation.

I think you might need to provide a little more detail on exactly what
message you're getting and what the word "prompt" means in this context.

At a guess, the problem is that there's a rule in your /etc/syslog.conf
(or /etc/rsyslog.conf on some Linux systems) that is directing messages
for 'daemon' to /dev/console.

pppd always writes to syslog, with severity level based on the nature of
the problem.  It never writes a message above "error" severity, so as
long as only "daemon.crit" (and above) are directed to the console, you
shouldn't have that problem.

But that's just a guess.  I don't know whether the message you're
talking about is from pppd or from the kernel or is possibly from
something unrelated to PPP.

--
James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <carlsonj@workingcode.com>