linux-raid.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
To: Curtis J Blank <curt@curtronics.com>
Cc: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Best way (only?) to setup SSD's for using TRIM
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:55:11 +0100	[thread overview]

On 30/10/2012 15:29, Curtis J Blank wrote:
> On 10/30/12 04:49, David Brown wrote:
>> On 28/10/2012 19:59, Curtis J Blank wrote:
>>> I've got two new SSD's that I want to set up as RAID1 and use strictly
>>> for the OS and MySQL DB's partitioned accordingly.
>>>
>>> I'll be using the 3.4.6 kernel for now in openSuSE 12.2 with ext4. So
>>> after a lot of Google'n and reading it is my understanding that discard
>>> is not sent to the devices via the raid drivers. I am aware of Shaohua
>>> Li's patches to make it work but am not inclined to use them due to
>>> openSuSE's Online Update replacing the kernel. I'm not against patching
>>> and gen'ing a kernel, that used to be SOP, but just don't want deal with
>>> that overhead. Of course unless I really need to.
>>>
>>> So I've read, and if I understand things correctly, I can use LVM and
>>> RAID1 and the the discard commands will be sent to the devices. Is that
>>> correct and currently the only way or is/are there other ways?
>>>
>>> I've also read that a lot of people are saying TRIM isn't needed because
>>> the SSD's garbage collection is so good now TRIM isn't needed. But I
>>> don't see how that could work because the SSD's don't have access to the
>>> file system so they don't know which pages in the blocks are marked
>>> unused to do any consolidation and erasing. And using TRIM is suggested
>>> in a OCZ document I read and who's drives these are. Unless, the SDD
>>> when it has to change a page moves the whole block then erases the old
>>> block? But without TRIM in could be moving invalid data too because it
>>> doesn't know that and that to me sure doesn't sound efficient and this
>>> operation would be a perfect time to get rid of the invalid data if it
>>> did know.
>>>

>> TRIM is not necessary.
>>
>> In some situations, TRIM can improve speed - in other cases, it can make
>> the system significantly slower.  And it is only ever a help until the
>> disk is getting fairly full.
>>
>> Before deciding about TRIM, it is important to understand what it does,
>> and how it works.  TRIM lets the filesystem tell the SSD that a
>> particular logical disk block is no longer in use.  The SSD can then
>> find the physical flash block associated with that logical block, and
>> mark it for garbage collection.
>>
>> If TRIM had been specified /properly/ for SATA (as it is for SCSI/SAS),
>> then it would have been quite useful.  But it has two huge failings -
>> there is no specification as to what the host will get if it tries to
>> read the trimmed logical block (this is what makes it terrible for RAID
>> systems), and it causes a pipeline flush and stall (which is what makes
>> TRIM so slow).  The pipeline flushing and stalling will cause particular
>> problems if you have a lot of metadata changes or small reads and writes
>> in parallel - the sort of accesses you get with database servers.  So
>> enabling TRIM will make databases significantly slower.
>>
>> And what do you lose if you /don't/ enable TRIM?  When a filesystem
> [...]

I was not using "block" in a particularly strict of formal way.  There
are a number of different levels of structure involved here, including
"logical blocks", "sectors", "allocation units", "erase blocks", "write
pages", etc.  I am simply talking about "lumps of data", rather than any
specific structure.

As far as the computer is concerned, it deals with "sector numbers" of
512 byte or 4K sectors.  It is up to the SSD to map these logical
numbers to physical pages within flash erase blocks.  The PC has no way
of knowing whether a given set of logical sectors are mapped to pages
within the same erase block or different ones.

You are right that the SSD's garbage collection routines will sometimes
collect together the used pages of an erase block, and copy them over to
another erase block, so that the first erase block can be recycled.  But
this is done independently of the TRIM, and is part of the normal
garbage collection function.

mvh.,

David