linux-raid.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Raid over USB disks and eject
@ 2012-11-12 12:44 Salatiel Filho
       [not found] ` <50A11B2C.7070902@mpstor.com>
From: Salatiel Filho @ 2012-11-12 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi guys,  i have an external USB enclosure with 4 disks  in RAID5 mode
using mdadm. I dont know exactly why but if i use this disks for
massive I/O for lots of hours (over 12 hours), linux usually eject
some or all disks (causing a faulty in the raid) and remaps them: sdb
-> sdf , sdc -> sdg , sdd -> sdh , sde -> sdi
Well , this was never exactly a problem because most of the time those
disks are idle (just backup), but i had a real disk failure and i will
replace the disk. But probably the rebuild process will take a lot
more than 12 hours so the chances are that some disk will be ejected
and i will be in a trouble situation where a raid5 rebuilding process
will probably be stopped by an apparently failure. So my question is:

If i get into that situation , will i be able to disassemble and
reassemble the disk using the three disks i know are 'fine' and
restart the rebuild process from where it stopped ? I have internal
bitmap enabled.

Is it possible to somehow freeze the rebuild process ? So i could
pause the process for a few hours after 8 hours of work for example.

The raid will be assembled but umounted during the rebuild proccess.

I am using kernel 3.2.30.

Thanks !!!

[]'s
Salatiel

* Re: Raid over USB disks and eject
@ 2012-11-12 16:07 ` Benjamin ESTRABAUD
       [not found] ` <50A11B2C.7070902@mpstor.com>
From: Benjamin ESTRABAUD @ 2012-11-12 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salatiel Filho; +Cc: linux-raid

Hi!

You could setup a cron job that will pause the resync by writing to sysfs:

If your array if "md0":

echo "idle" > /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action

However, this is probably not necessary as the resynced stripes will be
marked in the bitmap, meaning that if your rebuild fails, re-assembling
the array should restart the resync from where it stopped.

Regards,
Ben.

@ 2012-11-12 16:10   ` Salatiel Filho
From: Salatiel Filho @ 2012-11-12 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin ESTRABAUD; +Cc: linux-raid

Hi Benjamin, thanks for the tip. I will try this later and post the
results here.

[]'s
Salatiel

@ 2012-11-12 20:28   ` NeilBrown
From: NeilBrown @ 2012-11-12 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin ESTRABAUD; +Cc: Salatiel Filho, linux-raid

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:07:28 +0000 Benjamin ESTRABAUD <be@mpstor.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> You could setup a cron job that will pause the resync by writing to sysfs:
>
> If your array if "md0":
>
> echo "idle" > /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action

"idle" is not sufficient.  It will stop the recovery, but then it will
immediately start again.
You need "frozen".

NeilBrown

> However, this is probably not necessary as the resynced stripes will be
> marked in the bitmap, meaning that if your rebuild fails, re-assembling
> the array should restart the resync from where it stopped.
>
> Regards,
> Ben.
>
> On 12/11/12 12:44, Salatiel Filho wrote:
> > Hi guys,  i have an external USB enclosure with 4 disks  in RAID5 mode
> > using mdadm. I dont know exactly why but if i use this disks for
> > massive I/O for lots of hours (over 12 hours), linux usually eject
> > some or all disks (causing a faulty in the raid) and remaps them: sdb
> > -> sdf , sdc -> sdg , sdd -> sdh , sde -> sdi
> > Well , this was never exactly a problem because most of the time those
> > disks are idle (just backup), but i had a real disk failure and i will
> > replace the disk. But probably the rebuild process will take a lot
> > more than 12 hours so the chances are that some disk will be ejected
> > and i will be in a trouble situation where a raid5 rebuilding process
> > will probably be stopped by an apparently failure. So my question is:
> >
> > If i get into that situation , will i be able to disassemble and
> > reassemble the disk using the three disks i know are 'fine' and
> > restart the rebuild process from where it stopped ? I have internal
> > bitmap enabled.
> >
> > Is it possible to somehow freeze the rebuild process ? So i could
> > pause the process for a few hours after 8 hours of work for example.
> >
> > The raid will be assembled but umounted during the rebuild proccess.
> >
> > I am using kernel 3.2.30.
> >
> > Thanks !!!
> >

> > []'s
> > Salatiel
> > --

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Raid over USB disks and eject
@ 2012-11-14 16:25     ` Salatiel Filho
From: Salatiel Filho @ 2012-11-14 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NeilBrown; +Cc: Benjamin ESTRABAUD, linux-raid

Hi NeilBrown, the frozen option did the trick. Thanks ! So far rebuild
with no problems. 2 hours rebuilding , 15min sleeping in a loop ...

[]'s
Salatiel