linux-raid.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Information request
@ 2020-11-17  2:43 o1bigtenor
From: o1bigtenor @ 2020-11-17  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-RAID

Greetings

I managed to delete a file that would require a lot of hours to replace.
(I would be entering all the information again.)

The file is located on a Raid 10 array set up using mdadm - v4.1 - 2018-10-01.
Am running Debian Bullseye (testing).

Looking for suggestions on how to recover the file.

Not sure what other data might be required for anyone assisting so if
more information is required - - please indicate.

TIA

* Re: Information request
@ 2020-11-17  4:26 ` Andy Smith
From: Andy Smith @ 2020-11-17  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-RAID

Hello,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 08:43:12PM -0600, o1bigtenor wrote:
> I managed to delete a file that would require a lot of hours to replace.

[…]

> Looking for suggestions on how to recover the file.

This is really a filesystem question - files are not something that
RAID concerns itself with. So, what filesystem and what type of
file? You might get lucky running photorec (it's not just for
images) on the block device while it's unmounted.

    https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Cheers,
Andy

* Re: Information request
@ 2020-11-17 11:33   ` o1bigtenor
From: o1bigtenor @ 2020-11-17 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-RAID

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 10:43 PM Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 08:43:12PM -0600, o1bigtenor wrote:
> > I managed to delete a file that would require a lot of hours to replace.
>
> […]
>
> > Looking for suggestions on how to recover the file.
>
> This is really a filesystem question - files are not something that
> RAID concerns itself with. So, what filesystem and what type of
> file? You might get lucky running photorec (it's not just for
> images) on the block device while it's unmounted.
>
>     https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Sorry for the noise folks!

Thanks for the tip Mr Andy - - - - had started that even before I
read your note. Help validate my findings!

Thanking you for your assistance (even if it weren't 100% raid
related - - - grin!).

Regards