linux-rdma.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* rdma-core: Minimum supported Debian & Ubuntu releases
@ 2021-04-12 10:31 Benjamin Drung
From: Benjamin Drung @ 2021-04-12 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma

Hi,

which Debian & Ubuntu releases should rdma-core support? Do we have a
policy for that like all LTS versions?

--
Benjamin Drung

Senior DevOps Engineer and Debian & Ubuntu Developer
Compute Platform Operations

1&1 IONOS SE | Greifswalder Str. 207 | 10405 Berlin | Deutschland
E-Mail: benjamin.drung@ionos.com | Web: www.ionos.de

Hauptsitz Montabaur, Amtsgericht Montabaur, HRB 24498

Vorstand: Hüseyin Dogan, Dr. Martin Endreß, Claudia Frese, Henning
Kettler, Arthur Mai, Matthias Steinberg, Achim Weiß
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Markus Kadelke

Member of United Internet

Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder gesetzlich geschützte
Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Adressat
sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, unterrichten Sie
bitte den Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Anderen als dem
bestimmungsgemäßen Adressaten ist untersagt, diese E-Mail zu speichern,
weiterzuleiten oder ihren Inhalt auf welche Weise auch immer zu
verwenden.

you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
notified that saving, distribution or use of the content of this e-mail
in any way is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender and delete the e-mail.

* Re: rdma-core: Minimum supported Debian & Ubuntu releases
@ 2021-04-12 11:23 ` Leon Romanovsky
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2021-04-12 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Drung; +Cc: linux-rdma

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 12:31:26PM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> which Debian & Ubuntu releases should rdma-core support? Do we have a
> policy for that like all LTS versions?

I don't think that we have a policy for that.

Thanks

* Re: rdma-core: Minimum supported Debian & Ubuntu releases
@ 2021-04-13 16:40   ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2021-04-13 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Romanovsky; +Cc: Benjamin Drung, linux-rdma

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 02:23:33PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 12:31:26PM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > which Debian & Ubuntu releases should rdma-core support? Do we have a
> > policy for that like all LTS versions?
>
> I don't think that we have a policy for that.

I understand there are still active users on the prior LTS, so I would
prefer to keep that working.

Jason

* Re: rdma-core: Minimum supported Debian & Ubuntu releases
@ 2021-04-26  9:12     ` Benjamin Drung
From: Benjamin Drung @ 2021-04-26  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe, Leon Romanovsky; +Cc: linux-rdma

Am Dienstag, den 13.04.2021, 13:40 -0300 schrieb Jason Gunthorpe:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 02:23:33PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 12:31:26PM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > which Debian & Ubuntu releases should rdma-core support? Do we
> > > have a
> > > policy for that like all LTS versions?
> >
> > I don't think that we have a policy for that.
>
> I understand there are still active users on the prior LTS, so I
> would
> prefer to keep that working.

So to put numbers on it. rdma-core should support:

* Debian 9 (stretch) or newer
* Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (bionic) or newer

Debian 9 is currently oldstable and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is the second
newest Ubuntu LTS version. Or do you refer to Debian 8 "jessie" (which
EOL last year) and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (EOL around now)?

--

@ 2021-04-26 12:49       ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2021-04-26 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Drung; +Cc: Leon Romanovsky, linux-rdma

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 11:12:50AM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 13.04.2021, 13:40 -0300 schrieb Jason Gunthorpe:

> > > I don't think that we have a policy for that.
> >
> > I understand there are still active users on the prior LTS, so I
> > would
> > prefer to keep that working.
>
> So to put numbers on it. rdma-core should support:
>
> * Debian 9 (stretch) or newer
> * Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (bionic) or newer
>
> Debian 9 is currently oldstable and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is the second
> newest Ubuntu LTS version. Or do you refer to Debian 8 "jessie" (which
> EOL last year) and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (EOL around now)?

Yes 16.04 :( Maybe it is nearing dead now, but if we don't have a
strong reason to kill it I'd prefer to leave it be. Basically if it
is in buildlib/azure-pipelines.yml it should work.

Even centos6 is still in active use for some reason, and our container
images for it can't even be built anymore :\

I don't have any info on Debian users.

Jason

* Re: rdma-core: Minimum supported Debian & Ubuntu releases
@ 2021-04-26 15:37         ` Benjamin Drung
From: Benjamin Drung @ 2021-04-26 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: Leon Romanovsky, linux-rdma

Am Montag, den 26.04.2021, 09:49 -0300 schrieb Jason Gunthorpe:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 11:12:50AM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:

> > > I understand there are still active users on the prior LTS, so I
> > > would
> > > prefer to keep that working.
> >
> > So to put numbers on it. rdma-core should support:
> >
> > * Debian 9 (stretch) or newer
> > * Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (bionic) or newer
> >
> > Debian 9 is currently oldstable and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is the second
> > newest Ubuntu LTS version. Or do you refer to Debian 8 "jessie"
> > (which
> > EOL last year) and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (EOL around now)?
>
> Yes 16.04 :( Maybe it is nearing dead now, but if we don't have a
> strong reason to kill it I'd prefer to leave it be. Basically if it
> is in buildlib/azure-pipelines.yml it should work.
>
> Even centos6 is still in active use for some reason, and our
> container
> images for it can't even be built anymore :\
>
> I don't have any info on Debian users.

Okay, so the known supported versions are:

* Debian 9 (stretch) or newer
* Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (xenial) or newer

There are a few changes between the master branch and debian/master:

* Upgrade debhelper from 9 to 13
* Drop debug symbol migration

These changes will need to live in this branch for quite some time.