linux-rdma.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Creating new RDMA driver for habanalabs
@ 2021-08-22  9:40 Oded Gabbay
From: Oded Gabbay @ 2021-08-22  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: linux-rdma, Greg Kroah-Hartman

Hi Jason,

I think that about a year ago we talked about the custom RDMA code of
habanalabs. I tried to upstream it and you, rightfully, rejected that.

Now that I have enough b/w to do this work, I want to start writing a
proper RDMA driver for the habanalabs Gaudi device, which I will be
able to upstream to the infiniband subsystem.

I don't know if you remember but the Gaudi h/w is somewhat limited in
its RDMA capabilities. We are not selling a stand-alone NIC :) We just
use RDMA (or more precisely, ROCEv2) to connect between Gaudi devices.

I'm sure I will have more specific questions down the line, but I had
hoped you could point me to a basic/not-too-complex existing driver
that I can use as a modern template. I'm also aware that I will need
to write matching code in rdma-core.

Also, I would like to add we will use the auxiliary bus feature to
connect between this driver, the main (compute) driver and the
Ethernet driver (which we are going to publish soon I hope).

Thanks,
Oded