linux-rdma.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Help understand use of MAC address resolution in RDMA
@ 2021-08-05 14:38 Olga Kornievskaia
From: Olga Kornievskaia @ 2021-08-05 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma

Hi folks,

Can somebody help me understand how RoCE (this is probably RDMA core
and not specific to RoCE but I'm not sure) manages destination MAC
addresses for its connection?

Specifically the problem being observed is a server initiates an RDMA
CM disconnect (client replies), client tries to reconnect. Server
sends an ARP advertising a different MAC for the IP that the RDMA
connection was using. RDMA code keeps sending the RDMA CM connect
message to the old MAC for a certains period of time (90-100sec) then
it finally sends it to the new MAC address.

Question: how does the core RDMA layer manage the MAC address for the
connection. Why does it seem like it ignores the ARP updates?

Thank you.