linux-renesas-soc.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [PULL REQUEST] renesas/topic/sdhi-manual-calib for renesas drivers
@ 2019-06-28 17:51 Wolfram Sang
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfram Sang @ 2019-06-28 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-renesas-soc; +Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven, Wolfram Sang

Hi Geert,

here is a topic branch for renesas-drivers. It was developed against
mmc/next because there were some patches in there I needed. I know that
-next branches are not good for renesas-drivers, so rebased to v5.2-rc6
and cherry-picked what I needed. Further comments from the cover-letter:

===

The patches were developed against mmc/next. However, the above branch
is based on v5.2-rc6 with some cherry-picked patches from mmc/next, so
Geert can consume it easier for his renesas-drivers branch. There are
two more patches in that branch worth mentioning. A clk driver WIP patch
which I needed to get HS400 on my M3-N working at all. We are discussing
this patch internally right now and its upstreaming is a seperate issue.

Also, there is a debug patch on top. I can't test that the manual fixup
values improve HS400 because the actual issue only shows with
temperatures I can't (and don't want to) provide here in my office.
So, the debug patches add some trace_printk to demonstrate the functions
are called and the outputs match the intended state machine.

===

Please let me know if you can pull this branch or if adjustments are
needed.

Kind regards,

   Wolfram

The following changes since commit 4b972a01a7da614b4796475f933094751a295a2f:

  Linux 5.2-rc6 (2019-06-22 16:01:36 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wsa/linux.git renesas/topic/sdhi-manual-calib

for you to fetch changes up to a0b577d9d1154c48757da9a09c18056946832bd7:

  DEBUG: mmc: renesas_sdhi: add debug to verify manual calibration fix (2019-06-28 13:44:45 +0200)

Niklas S??derlund (1):
      mmc: tmio: move runtime PM enablement to the driver implementations

Wolfram Sang (8):
      mmc: sdhi: improve quirk descriptions
      mmc: sdhi: remove unneeded initialization
      WIP: clk: renesas: rcar-gen3: enable SDnH clk for HS modes
      mmc: renesas_sdhi: keep sorting
      mmc: tmio: add generic hook to fixup after a completed request
      mmc: renesas_sdhi: make quirks info accessible outside probe()
      mmc: renesas_sdhi: support manual calibration
      DEBUG: mmc: renesas_sdhi: add debug to verify manual calibration fix

Yoshihiro Shimoda (1):
      mmc: tmio: Use dma_max_mapping_size() instead of a workaround

 drivers/clk/renesas/rcar-gen3-cpg.c  |   2 +-
 drivers/mmc/host/renesas_sdhi.h      |   9 +++
 drivers/mmc/host/renesas_sdhi_core.c | 151 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
 drivers/mmc/host/tmio_mmc.c          |   5 ++
 drivers/mmc/host/tmio_mmc.h          |   1 +
 drivers/mmc/host/tmio_mmc_core.c     |  32 ++++----
 drivers/mmc/host/uniphier-sd.c       |   3 +

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [PULL REQUEST] renesas/topic/sdhi-manual-calib for renesas drivers
@ 2019-06-29 20:03 ` Wolfram Sang
From: Wolfram Sang @ 2019-06-29 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-renesas-soc; +Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven

Hi Geert,

I rebased the branch to v2 of the series. Diffs are very minor, so I
hope you can deal with the old pull request for it?

Thanks,

   Wolfram

@ 2019-07-01  8:54 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2019-07-01  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfram Sang; +Cc: Linux-Renesas

Hi Wolfram,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 7:52 PM Wolfram Sang <wsa@the-dreams.de> wrote:
> here is a topic branch for renesas-drivers. It was developed against
> mmc/next because there were some patches in there I needed. I know that
> -next branches are not good for renesas-drivers, so rebased to v5.2-rc6

It depends on (a) which subsystem, and (b) how stable it is.
mmc/next is included in renesas-drivers anyway, but Ulf sometimes likes
to rebase that branch.

> and cherry-picked what I needed. Further comments from the cover-letter:
>
> ===
>
> The patches were developed against mmc/next. However, the above branch
> is based on v5.2-rc6 with some cherry-picked patches from mmc/next, so
> Geert can consume it easier for his renesas-drivers branch. There are

Actually you made it more difficult for me, as you changed the mere
possibility of a conflict due to Ulf rebasing mmc/next, into a certainty
of your branch conflicting with mmc/next ;-)

Unfortunately, when merging renesas/topic/sdhi-manual-calib, git is not
smart enough to notice your cherry-picked changes to the files are
identical to the ones in mmc/next until commit 520902bb1ce63518 ("mmc:
tmio: Use dma_max_mapping_size() instead of a workaround"). I can work
around that by merging the aforementioned commit first (git is smart
enough to handle that case), followed by the merge of the remainder of
your topic branch.
Or I can handle the conflict manually...

> The following changes since commit 4b972a01a7da614b4796475f933094751a295a2f:
>
>   Linux 5.2-rc6 (2019-06-22 16:01:36 -0700)
>
> are available in the Git repository at:
>
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wsa/linux.git renesas/topic/sdhi-manual-calib
>
> for you to fetch changes up to a0b577d9d1154c48757da9a09c18056946832bd7:
>
>   DEBUG: mmc: renesas_sdhi: add debug to verify manual calibration fix (2019-06-28 13:44:45 +0200)

[...]

> I rebased the branch to v2 of the series. Diffs are very minor, so I
> hope you can deal with the old pull request for it?

No problem, it's the same branch name, so I will fetch the new version
(and I cannot compare with the old version ^-)

release!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: [PULL REQUEST] renesas/topic/sdhi-manual-calib for renesas drivers
@ 2019-07-01  9:23   ` Wolfram Sang
From: Wolfram Sang @ 2019-07-01  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Linux-Renesas

Hi Geert,

> mmc/next is included in renesas-drivers anyway, but Ulf sometimes likes
> to rebase that branch.

I know :(

> Actually you made it more difficult for me, as you changed the mere
> possibility of a conflict due to Ulf rebasing mmc/next, into a certainty
> of your branch conflicting with mmc/next ;-)

Wouldn't that happen as well if I base it on an old version of mmc/next?
As soon as Ulf rebases -> problem. Geez, his rebasing is annoying.

What would be the easiest solution for you here? (except waiting for
-rc1 which was sadly not an option here)

> No problem, it's the same branch name, so I will fetch the new version
> (and I cannot compare with the old version ^-)

Right. I mainly wanted you to know that the content differs a little
from what I originally requested to pull.

> release!

Thanks!

@ 2019-07-01  9:26     ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2019-07-01  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfram Sang; +Cc: Linux-Renesas

Hi Wolfram,

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 11:23 AM Wolfram Sang <wsa@the-dreams.de> wrote:
> > mmc/next is included in renesas-drivers anyway, but Ulf sometimes likes
> > to rebase that branch.
>
> I know :(
>
> > Actually you made it more difficult for me, as you changed the mere
> > possibility of a conflict due to Ulf rebasing mmc/next, into a certainty
> > of your branch conflicting with mmc/next ;-)
>
> Wouldn't that happen as well if I base it on an old version of mmc/next?
> As soon as Ulf rebases -> problem. Geez, his rebasing is annoying.

Yes it would, _iff_ he rebases, which he doesn't always do.

> What would be the easiest solution for you here? (except waiting for
> -rc1 which was sadly not an option here)

Base it on mmc/next? As long as Ulf doesn't rebase mmc/next, and
doesn't queue conflicting patches, there would be no conflict.

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: [PULL REQUEST] renesas/topic/sdhi-manual-calib for renesas drivers
@ 2019-10-01 12:57 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2019-10-01 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfram Sang; +Cc: Linux-Renesas

Hi Wolfram,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 7:52 PM Wolfram Sang <wsa@the-dreams.de> wrote:
> here is a topic branch for renesas-drivers. It was developed against
> mmc/next because there were some patches in there I needed. I know that
> -next branches are not good for renesas-drivers, so rebased to v5.2-rc6
> and cherry-picked what I needed. Further comments from the cover-letter:

> The following changes since commit 4b972a01a7da614b4796475f933094751a295a2f:
>
>   Linux 5.2-rc6 (2019-06-22 16:01:36 -0700)
>
> are available in the Git repository at:
>
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wsa/linux.git renesas/topic/sdhi-manual-calib

I'm dropping this for today's release, as it contains a commit that has been
reverted in mainline:

@ 2019-10-01 15:20   ` Wolfram Sang
From: Wolfram Sang @ 2019-10-01 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Linux-Renesas