linux-riscv.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device
@ 2018-10-15 14:00 Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-10-15 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

Hi,
I am trying to setup riscv-qemu booting on a new Ubuntu PC.
I dont want to use freedom-u-sdk, so I am preparing my own environment.
I could able to build the following:
- riscv-toolchain
- riscv-linux
- riscv-qemu
- riscv-pk
- busybear

After that, I am trying to boot riscv-qemu, using the following command:
# sudo qemu-system-riscv64 -nographic -machine virt -kernel
PK/riscv-pk/build/bbl -append "root=/dev/vda ro console=ttyS0" -drive
file=busybear.bin,format=raw,id=hd0 -device
virtio-blk-device,drive=hd0

But, I am getting kernel panic.

---------
bbl loader
Linux version 4.18.0-rc6...
devtmpfs: initialized
cpu cpu0: Error -2 creating of_node link
SCSI subsystem initialized
Unpacking initramfs...
loop: module loaded
virtio_blk: probe of virtio0 failed with error -22
VFS: Cannot open root device "vda" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 4.18.0-rc6-13927-gd72e90f3 #3
-----------

Basically, it could not find the "vda" device, even though I passed
the "root=/dev/vda"

What could be the cause of this issue?

CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK=y
# CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK_SCSI is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_VIRTIO is not set
CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET=y

These are already enabled in the kernel.
If I am missing any config, please let me know.

Thanks,
Pintu

From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-10-15 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: isa-dev, linux-riscv

[...]

* [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device
@ 2018-10-15 20:26 ` Michael Clark
From: Michael Clark @ 2018-10-15 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

Dropping isa-dev, adding sw-dev

> On 16/10/2018, at 3:00 AM, Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am trying to setup riscv-qemu booting on a new Ubuntu PC.
> I dont want to use freedom-u-sdk, so I am preparing my own environment.
> I could able to build the following:
> - riscv-toolchain
> - riscv-linux
> - riscv-qemu
> - riscv-pk
> - busybear
>
> After that, I am trying to boot riscv-qemu, using the following command:
> # sudo qemu-system-riscv64 -nographic -machine virt -kernel
> PK/riscv-pk/build/bbl -append "root=/dev/vda ro console=ttyS0" -drive
> file=busybear.bin,format=raw,id=hd0 -device
> virtio-blk-device,drive=hd0

Note: sudo is not required. sudo is used in the busybear start-qemu.sh script as it uses bridged networking. The latest version of busybear points at linux-4.19-rc5 so the issue may have been fixed.

> But, I am getting kernel panic.
>
> ---------
> bbl loader
> Linux version 4.18.0-rc6...
> devtmpfs: initialized
> cpu cpu0: Error -2 creating of_node link

Not sure what is happening here.

> SCSI subsystem initialized
> Unpacking initramfs...
> loop: module loaded
> virtio_blk: probe of virtio0 failed with error -22
> VFS: Cannot open root device "vda" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6

It is finding vda from the command-line, thus chosen in the generic open-firmware code is working fine.

> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 4.18.0-rc6-13927-gd72e90f3 #3
> -----------
>
> Basically, it could not find the "vda" device, even though I passed
> the "root=/dev/vda"
>
> What could be the cause of this issue?
>
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK=y
> # CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK_SCSI is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_VIRTIO is not set
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET=y

I can?t tell at a glance what your problem is, but if that is your complete .config delta from defconfig then we can drop it into busybear and point it at your kernel version; currently the build scripts use an archive.

> These are already enabled in the kernel.
> If I am missing any config, please let me know.

You are probably missing config. Do you have the filesystems enabled?

> Thanks,
> Pintu

* Re: [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device
@ 2018-10-15 20:26   ` Michael Clark
From: Michael Clark @ 2018-10-15 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: linux-riscv, sw-dev

Dropping isa-dev, adding sw-dev

> On 16/10/2018, at 3:00 AM, Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am trying to setup riscv-qemu booting on a new Ubuntu PC.
> I dont want to use freedom-u-sdk, so I am preparing my own environment.
> I could able to build the following:
> - riscv-toolchain
> - riscv-linux
> - riscv-qemu
> - riscv-pk
> - busybear
>
> After that, I am trying to boot riscv-qemu, using the following command:
> # sudo qemu-system-riscv64 -nographic -machine virt -kernel
> PK/riscv-pk/build/bbl -append "root=/dev/vda ro console=ttyS0" -drive
> file=busybear.bin,format=raw,id=hd0 -device
> virtio-blk-device,drive=hd0

Note: sudo is not required. sudo is used in the busybear start-qemu.sh script as it uses bridged networking. The latest version of busybear points at linux-4.19-rc5 so the issue may have been fixed.

> But, I am getting kernel panic.
>
> ---------
> bbl loader
> Linux version 4.18.0-rc6...
> devtmpfs: initialized
> cpu cpu0: Error -2 creating of_node link

Not sure what is happening here.

> SCSI subsystem initialized
> Unpacking initramfs...
> loop: module loaded
> virtio_blk: probe of virtio0 failed with error -22
> VFS: Cannot open root device "vda" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6

It is finding vda from the command-line, thus chosen in the generic open-firmware code is working fine.

> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 4.18.0-rc6-13927-gd72e90f3 #3
> -----------
>
> Basically, it could not find the "vda" device, even though I passed
> the "root=/dev/vda"
>
> What could be the cause of this issue?
>
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK=y
> # CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK_SCSI is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_VIRTIO is not set
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET=y

I can’t tell at a glance what your problem is, but if that is your complete .config delta from defconfig then we can drop it into busybear and point it at your kernel version; currently the build scripts use an archive.

> These are already enabled in the kernel.
> If I am missing any config, please let me know.

You are probably missing config. Do you have the filesystems enabled?

> Thanks,
> Pintu

* [sw-dev] Re: [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device
@ 2018-10-15 21:14   ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2018-10-15 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 09:26:20AM +1300, 'Michael Clark' via RISC-V SW Dev wrote:
> Dropping isa-dev, adding sw-dev
>
> > On 16/10/2018, at 3:00 AM, Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to setup riscv-qemu booting on a new Ubuntu PC.
> > I dont want to use freedom-u-sdk, so I am preparing my own environment.
> > I could able to build the following:
> > - riscv-toolchain
> > - riscv-linux
> > - riscv-qemu
> > - riscv-pk
> > - busybear
> >
> > After that, I am trying to boot riscv-qemu, using the following command:
> > # sudo qemu-system-riscv64 -nographic -machine virt -kernel
> > PK/riscv-pk/build/bbl -append "root=/dev/vda ro console=ttyS0" -drive
> > file=busybear.bin,format=raw,id=hd0 -device
> > virtio-blk-device,drive=hd0
>
> Note: sudo is not required. sudo is used in the busybear start-qemu.sh script as it uses bridged networking. The latest version of busybear points at linux-4.19-rc5 so the issue may have been fixed.
>
> > But, I am getting kernel panic.
> >
> > ---------
> > bbl loader
> > Linux version 4.18.0-rc6...

It's a bit of a guess, but could this be the upstream kernel?  The
latest riscv-linux is 4.18.0 (not -rc6).

The reason I say it might be the upstream kernel is because ...

> > virtio_blk: probe of virtio0 failed with error -22

... I saw this exact error when I was using the upstream kernel
instead of the one which supported interrupt handling.  Interrupt
handling for RISC-V was added upstream after 4.18 so wouldn't be
included in upstream 4.18.0-rc6.

Rich.

* Re: [sw-dev] Re: [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device
@ 2018-10-15 21:14     ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2018-10-15 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Clark; +Cc: linux-riscv, sw-dev, Pintu Kumar

@ 2018-10-16  0:40     ` Palmer Dabbelt
From: Palmer Dabbelt @ 2018-10-16  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 14:14:51 PDT (-0700), rjones at redhat.com wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 09:26:20AM +1300, 'Michael Clark' via RISC-V SW Dev wrote:
>> Dropping isa-dev, adding sw-dev
>>
>> > On 16/10/2018, at 3:00 AM, Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> > I am trying to setup riscv-qemu booting on a new Ubuntu PC.
>> > I dont want to use freedom-u-sdk, so I am preparing my own environment.
>> > I could able to build the following:
>> > - riscv-toolchain
>> > - riscv-linux
>> > - riscv-qemu
>> > - riscv-pk
>> > - busybear
>> >
>> > After that, I am trying to boot riscv-qemu, using the following command:
>> > # sudo qemu-system-riscv64 -nographic -machine virt -kernel
>> > PK/riscv-pk/build/bbl -append "root=/dev/vda ro console=ttyS0" -drive
>> > file=busybear.bin,format=raw,id=hd0 -device
>> > virtio-blk-device,drive=hd0
>>
>> Note: sudo is not required. sudo is used in the busybear start-qemu.sh script as it uses bridged networking. The latest version of busybear points at linux-4.19-rc5 so the issue may have been fixed.
>>
>> > But, I am getting kernel panic.
>> >
>> > ---------
>> > bbl loader
>> > Linux version 4.18.0-rc6...
>
> It's a bit of a guess, but could this be the upstream kernel?  The
> latest riscv-linux is 4.18.0 (not -rc6).
>
> The reason I say it might be the upstream kernel is because ...
>
>> > virtio_blk: probe of virtio0 failed with error -22
>
> ... I saw this exact error when I was using the upstream kernel
> instead of the one which supported interrupt handling.  Interrupt
> handling for RISC-V was added upstream after 4.18 so wouldn't be
> included in upstream 4.18.0-rc6.

Your best bet today is to run 4.19-rc8, which should be pretty stable.

From: Palmer Dabbelt @ 2018-10-16  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rjones; +Cc: linux-riscv, sw-dev, pintu.ping, Michael Clark

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 14:14:51 PDT (-0700), rjones@redhat.com wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 09:26:20AM +1300, 'Michael Clark' via RISC-V SW Dev wrote:
>> Dropping isa-dev, adding sw-dev
>>
>> > On 16/10/2018, at 3:00 AM, Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> > I am trying to setup riscv-qemu booting on a new Ubuntu PC.
>> > I dont want to use freedom-u-sdk, so I am preparing my own environment.
>> > I could able to build the following:
>> > - riscv-toolchain
>> > - riscv-linux
>> > - riscv-qemu
>> > - riscv-pk
>> > - busybear
>> >
>> > After that, I am trying to boot riscv-qemu, using the following command:
>> > # sudo qemu-system-riscv64 -nographic -machine virt -kernel
>> > PK/riscv-pk/build/bbl -append "root=/dev/vda ro console=ttyS0" -drive
>> > file=busybear.bin,format=raw,id=hd0 -device
>> > virtio-blk-device,drive=hd0
>>
>> Note: sudo is not required. sudo is used in the busybear start-qemu.sh script as it uses bridged networking. The latest version of busybear points at linux-4.19-rc5 so the issue may have been fixed.
>>
>> > But, I am getting kernel panic.
>> >
>> > ---------
>> > bbl loader
>> > Linux version 4.18.0-rc6...
>
> It's a bit of a guess, but could this be the upstream kernel?  The
> latest riscv-linux is 4.18.0 (not -rc6).
>
> The reason I say it might be the upstream kernel is because ...
>
>> > virtio_blk: probe of virtio0 failed with error -22
>
> ... I saw this exact error when I was using the upstream kernel
> instead of the one which supported interrupt handling.  Interrupt
> handling for RISC-V was added upstream after 4.18 so wouldn't be
> included in upstream 4.18.0-rc6.

Your best bet today is to run 4.19-rc8, which should be pretty stable.

* [sw-dev] Re: [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device
@ 2018-10-16 13:12       ` Pintu Kumar
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-10-16 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 6:10 AM Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@sifive.com> wrote:

> > ... I saw this exact error when I was using the upstream kernel
> > instead of the one which supported interrupt handling.  Interrupt
> > handling for RISC-V was added upstream after 4.18 so wouldn't be
> > included in upstream 4.18.0-rc6.
>
> Your best bet today is to run 4.19-rc8, which should be pretty stable.

Yes, I checked with mainline linux-kernel 4.19.
Now I am able to boot successfully and login into qemu-riscv shell.
Thank you so much :)

But I am curious to know what changes resulted into this fix, in 4.19 kernel ?
Which is the exact patch in mainline, that fixes this issue?
Because at times during the development, it will be difficult to
simply upgrade the kernel version.
So, I wanted to stick to 4.18 itself, however I can back port the
patches from 4.19 to fix the issue.
So, if you can point me to the exact patch, it will be of great help.

Thanks,
Pintu

* Re: [sw-dev] Re: [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device
@ 2018-10-16 13:12         ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-10-16 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: palmer; +Cc: linux-riscv, sw-dev, rjones, Michael Clark

@ 2018-10-16 13:30         ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2018-10-16 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 06:42:11PM +0530, Pintu Kumar wrote:

> > > ... I saw this exact error when I was using the upstream kernel
> > > instead of the one which supported interrupt handling.  Interrupt
> > > handling for RISC-V was added upstream after 4.18 so wouldn't be
> > > included in upstream 4.18.0-rc6.
> >
> > Your best bet today is to run 4.19-rc8, which should be pretty stable.
>
> Yes, I checked with mainline linux-kernel 4.19.
> Now I am able to boot successfully and login into qemu-riscv shell.
> Thank you so much :)
>
> But I am curious to know what changes resulted into this fix, in 4.19 kernel ?
> Which is the exact patch in mainline, that fixes this issue?

It'll be one of the interrupt or irqchip patches here:

  https://github.com/riscv/riscv-linux/commits/riscv-linux-4.18

You should follow Palmer's advice and use the kernel he recommends
rather than trying to cherry pick patches.

Rich.

From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2018-10-16 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: linux-riscv, palmer, sw-dev, Michael Clark

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 06:42:11PM +0530, Pintu Kumar wrote:

> > > ... I saw this exact error when I was using the upstream kernel
> > > instead of the one which supported interrupt handling.  Interrupt
> > > handling for RISC-V was added upstream after 4.18 so wouldn't be
> > > included in upstream 4.18.0-rc6.
> >
> > Your best bet today is to run 4.19-rc8, which should be pretty stable.
>
> Yes, I checked with mainline linux-kernel 4.19.
> Now I am able to boot successfully and login into qemu-riscv shell.
> Thank you so much :)
>
> But I am curious to know what changes resulted into this fix, in 4.19 kernel ?
> Which is the exact patch in mainline, that fixes this issue?

It'll be one of the interrupt or irqchip patches here:

  https://github.com/riscv/riscv-linux/commits/riscv-linux-4.18

You should follow Palmer's advice and use the kernel he recommends
rather than trying to cherry pick patches.

Rich.

> Because at times during the development, it will be difficult to
> simply upgrade the kernel version.
> So, I wanted to stick to 4.18 itself, however I can back port the
> patches from 4.19 to fix the issue.
> So, if you can point me to the exact patch, it will be of great help.
>
> Thanks,
> Pintu

* [sw-dev] Re: [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device
@ 2018-10-16 18:38         ` Palmer Dabbelt
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Palmer Dabbelt @ 2018-10-16 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 06:12:11 PDT (-0700), pintu.ping at gmail.com wrote:

>> > ... I saw this exact error when I was using the upstream kernel
>> > instead of the one which supported interrupt handling.  Interrupt
>> > handling for RISC-V was added upstream after 4.18 so wouldn't be
>> > included in upstream 4.18.0-rc6.
>>
>> Your best bet today is to run 4.19-rc8, which should be pretty stable.
>
> Yes, I checked with mainline linux-kernel 4.19.
> Now I am able to boot successfully and login into qemu-riscv shell.
> Thank you so much :)
>
> But I am curious to know what changes resulted into this fix, in 4.19 kernel ?
> Which is the exact patch in mainline, that fixes this issue?
> Because at times during the development, it will be difficult to
> simply upgrade the kernel version.

Yes, that's expected.  RISC-V Linux is still pretty bleeding edge, you just
happened to catch it between when master started working and when there was a
proper release that contained your patches.  Since master is very calm right
now (there was an rc8 before release, but it's very close to a release) it's OK
to use, but you best bet going forward is to use the release tarballs just like
normal.

> So, I wanted to stick to 4.18 itself, however I can back port the
> patches from 4.19 to fix the issue.

We have a backports branch, it's called "riscv-linux-4.18".  I'll continue to
produce a backports branch for the latest upstream release until things get
pretty stable.

> So, if you can point me to the exact patch, it will be of great help.

Here's the PLIC driver, but it depends on a bunch of other patches.  Like I
said, that's what the backports branch is for :)

$ git log drivers/irqchip/irq-sifive-plic.c | cat
commit 8237f8bc4f6eb7e5ce2a19276079cfd3a7c6314a
gpg: Signature made Mon 13 Aug 2018 08:31:32 AM PDT
gpg:                using RSA key 00CE76D1834960DFCE886DF8EF4CA1502CCBAB41
gpg:                issuer "palmer at dabbelt.com"
gpg: Good signature from "Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@dabbelt.com>" [ultimate]
gpg:                 aka "Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@sifive.com>" [ultimate]
Author: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Date:   Thu Jul 26 16:27:00 2018 +0200

    irqchip: add a SiFive PLIC driver

    Add a driver for the SiFive implementation of the RISC-V Platform Level
    Interrupt Controller (PLIC).  The PLIC connects global interrupt sources
    to the local interrupt controller on each hart.

    This driver is based on the driver in the RISC-V tree from Palmer Dabbelt,
    but has been almost entirely rewritten since, and includes many fixes
    from Atish Patra.

    Signed-off-by: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
    Acked-by: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>
    Reviewed-by: Atish Patra <atish.patra@wdc.com>
    [Binding update by Palmer]
    Signed-off-by: Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@sifive.com>

From: Palmer Dabbelt @ 2018-10-16 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pintu.ping; +Cc: linux-riscv, sw-dev, rjones, Michael Clark

gpg:                issuer "palmer@dabbelt.com"
Author: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Date:   Thu Jul 26 16:27:00 2018 +0200

@ 2018-10-16 20:02           ` Karsten Merker
From: Karsten Merker @ 2018-10-16 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pintu.ping, Palmer Dabbelt; +Cc: linux-riscv, sw-dev, rjones, Michael Clark

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 11:38:53AM -0700, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 06:12:11 PDT (-0700), pintu.ping@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 6:10 AM Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@sifive.com> wrote:
> > > On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 14:14:51 PDT (-0700), rjones@redhat.com wrote:
[...]
> > > Your best bet today is to run 4.19-rc8, which should be pretty stable.
> >
> > Yes, I checked with mainline linux-kernel 4.19.
> > Now I am able to boot successfully and login into qemu-riscv shell.
> > Thank you so much :)
> >
> > But I am curious to know what changes resulted into this fix, in 4.19 kernel ?
> > Which is the exact patch in mainline, that fixes this issue?
> > Because at times during the development, it will be difficult to
> > simply upgrade the kernel version.
>
> Yes, that's expected.  RISC-V Linux is still pretty bleeding edge, you just
> happened to catch it between when master started working and when there was
> a proper release that contained your patches.  Since master is very calm
> right now (there was an rc8 before release, but it's very close to a
> release) it's OK to use, but you best bet going forward is to use the
> release tarballs just like normal.

Just as a data point in case you should find it helpful: I'm
since two weeks running 4.19-rc6/-rc7 on the qemu-riscv "virt"
board under permanent heavy load (the system is running a Debian
package builder) without a single hiccup.

HTH,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der

* [sw-dev] Re: [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device
@ 2018-10-16 22:30             ` Michael Clark
From: Michael Clark @ 2018-10-16 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

> On 17/10/2018, at 9:02 AM, Karsten Merker <merker@debian.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Yes, I checked with mainline linux-kernel 4.19.
>>> Now I am able to boot successfully and login into qemu-riscv shell.
>>> Thank you so much :)
>>>
>>> But I am curious to know what changes resulted into this fix, in 4.19 kernel ?
>>> Which is the exact patch in mainline, that fixes this issue?
>>> Because at times during the development, it will be difficult to
>>> simply upgrade the kernel version.
>>
>> Yes, that's expected.  RISC-V Linux is still pretty bleeding edge, you just
>> happened to catch it between when master started working and when there was
>> a proper release that contained your patches.  Since master is very calm
>> right now (there was an rc8 before release, but it's very close to a
>> release) it's OK to use, but you best bet going forward is to use the
>> release tarballs just like normal.
>
> Just as a data point in case you should find it helpful: I'm
> since two weeks running 4.19-rc6/-rc7 on the qemu-riscv "virt"
> board under permanent heavy load (the system is running a Debian
> package builder) without a single hiccup.

Hi Karsten,

Have you tried riscv-qemu? I know qemu-riscv gets quite a lot of testing but I?d like to gain some more confidence in riscv-qemu.

We might have a PLIC bug in QEMU. If anyone has a reproducer they can file an issue on the riscv-qemu issue tracker and I?ll take a look...

Michael

From: Michael Clark @ 2018-10-16 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karsten Merker; +Cc: linux-riscv, Palmer Dabbelt, sw-dev, pintu.ping, rjones

@ 2018-10-17  5:19               ` Karsten Merker
From: Karsten Merker @ 2018-10-17  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Clark
  Cc: pintu.ping, Palmer Dabbelt, rjones, sw-dev, Karsten Merker, linux-riscv

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 11:30:50AM +1300, Michael Clark wrote:

> > [...]
> >>
> >> Yes, that's expected.  RISC-V Linux is still pretty bleeding edge, you just
> >> happened to catch it between when master started working and when there was
> >> a proper release that contained your patches.  Since master is very calm
> >> right now (there was an rc8 before release, but it's very close to a
> >> release) it's OK to use, but you best bet going forward is to use the
> >> release tarballs just like normal.
> >
> > Just as a data point in case you should find it helpful: I'm
> > since two weeks running 4.19-rc6/-rc7 on the qemu-riscv "virt"
> > board under permanent heavy load (the system is running a Debian
> > package builder) without a single hiccup.
>
> Hi Karsten,
>
> Have you tried riscv-qemu?  I know qemu-riscv gets quite a lot of testing
> but I’d like to gain some more confidence in riscv-qemu.

I have upstream qemu running on one box and riscv-qemu from
https://github.com/riscv/riscv-qemu/, branch "qemu-for-upstream",
on another, and haven't encountered any stability problems on
either of those.

Regards,
Karsten
--

@ 2018-10-17  7:34                 ` Michael Clark
From: Michael Clark @ 2018-10-17  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

> On 17/10/2018, at 6:19 PM, Karsten Merker <merker@debian.org> wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Just as a data point in case you should find it helpful: I'm
>>> since two weeks running 4.19-rc6/-rc7 on the qemu-riscv "virt"
>>> board under permanent heavy load (the system is running a Debian
>>> package builder) without a single hiccup.
>>
>> Hi Karsten,
>>
>> Have you tried riscv-qemu?  I know qemu-riscv gets quite a lot of testing
>> but I?d like to gain some more confidence in riscv-qemu.
>
> I have upstream qemu running on one box and riscv-qemu from
> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-qemu/, branch "qemu-for-upstream",
> on another, and haven't encountered any stability problems on
> either of those.

Oh that?s good news.

Thanks,
Michael

* Re: [sw-dev] Re: [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device
@ 2018-10-17  7:34                   ` Michael Clark
From: Michael Clark @ 2018-10-17  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karsten Merker; +Cc: linux-riscv, Palmer Dabbelt, sw-dev, pintu.ping, rjones

> On 17/10/2018, at 6:19 PM, Karsten Merker <merker@debian.org> wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Just as a data point in case you should find it helpful: I'm
>>> since two weeks running 4.19-rc6/-rc7 on the qemu-riscv "virt"
>>> board under permanent heavy load (the system is running a Debian
>>> package builder) without a single hiccup.
>>
>> Hi Karsten,
>>
>> Have you tried riscv-qemu?  I know qemu-riscv gets quite a lot of testing
>> but I’d like to gain some more confidence in riscv-qemu.
>
> I have upstream qemu running on one box and riscv-qemu from
> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-qemu/, branch "qemu-for-upstream",
> on another, and haven't encountered any stability problems on
> either of those.

Oh that’s good news.

Thanks,
Michael

* [sw-dev] Re: [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device
@ 2018-10-17 12:03           ` Pintu Agarwal
From: Pintu Agarwal @ 2018-10-17 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 12:08 AM Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@sifive.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 06:12:11 PDT (-0700), pintu.ping at gmail.com wrote:

> >> Your best bet today is to run 4.19-rc8, which should be pretty stable.
> >
> > Yes, I checked with mainline linux-kernel 4.19.
> > Now I am able to boot successfully and login into qemu-riscv shell.
> > Thank you so much :)
> >
> > But I am curious to know what changes resulted into this fix, in 4.19 kernel ?
> > Which is the exact patch in mainline, that fixes this issue?
> > Because at times during the development, it will be difficult to
> > simply upgrade the kernel version.
>
> Yes, that's expected.  RISC-V Linux is still pretty bleeding edge, you just
> happened to catch it between when master started working and when there was a
> proper release that contained your patches.  Since master is very calm right
> now (there was an rc8 before release, but it's very close to a release) it's OK
> to use, but you best bet going forward is to use the release tarballs just like
> normal.
>
> > So, I wanted to stick to 4.18 itself, however I can back port the
> > patches from 4.19 to fix the issue.
>
> We have a backports branch, it's called "riscv-linux-4.18".  I'll continue to
> produce a backports branch for the latest upstream release until things get
> pretty stable.
>
> > So, if you can point me to the exact patch, it will be of great help.
>
> Here's the PLIC driver, but it depends on a bunch of other patches.  Like I
> said, that's what the backports branch is for :)
>
> $ git log drivers/irqchip/irq-sifive-plic.c | cat
> commit 8237f8bc4f6eb7e5ce2a19276079cfd3a7c6314a
> gpg: Signature made Mon 13 Aug 2018 08:31:32 AM PDT
> gpg:                using RSA key 00CE76D1834960DFCE886DF8EF4CA1502CCBAB41
> gpg:                issuer "palmer at dabbelt.com"
> gpg: Good signature from "Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@dabbelt.com>" [ultimate]
> gpg:                 aka "Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@sifive.com>" [ultimate]
> Author: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
> Date:   Thu Jul 26 16:27:00 2018 +0200
>
>     irqchip: add a SiFive PLIC driver
>
>     Add a driver for the SiFive implementation of the RISC-V Platform Level
>     Interrupt Controller (PLIC).  The PLIC connects global interrupt sources
>     to the local interrupt controller on each hart.
>
>     This driver is based on the driver in the RISC-V tree from Palmer Dabbelt,
>     but has been almost entirely rewritten since, and includes many fixes
>     from Atish Patra.

Ok thank you so much for the detailed explanation.
I roughly understood the changes.
I will continue to use 4.19 mainline kernel.
Yes I think it's petty stable :)
Hopefully, I will try to contribute few items for riscv linux kernel.

Thanks

From: Pintu Agarwal @ 2018-10-17 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: palmer; +Cc: linux-riscv, sw-dev, rjones, Michael Clark