linux-riscv.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* virtio-gpu without ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN
@ 2018-10-29 19:46 Michael Forney
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Michael Forney @ 2018-10-29 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

Hi,

I was looking at adding virtio-gpu support to tinyemu
(https://bellard.org/tinyemu/). I got it to work on x86, but just for
fun I tried it under riscv and ran into an issue with buffer
allocations (though, this should affect any arch without
ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN).

virtio-gpu uses ttm to allocate buffers, which swaps pages to ensure
that they aren't consecutive[0][1]. However, this causes
sg_alloc_table_from_pages to use a sg entry for every single page,
limiting buffers to only 170 pages (the number of sg entries that can
fit into a page). This is only 417x417 with 32bpp. I believe the page
swapping also makes TRANSFER_TO_HOST_2D inefficient by forcing the
host to do many memcpys instead of just a few.

Commenting out the swaps in [0] and [1] makes it work with larger
buffers. I don't know anything about huge pages, or how sg chaining
works, so I have a few questions:
- Is virtio-gpu intended to be usable without ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN?
- Is it still necessary to swap the pages when
CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE is disabled?
- Should riscv support ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN?

Thanks for any help!

[0] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/drivers/gpu/drm/ttm/ttm_page_alloc.c?id=fdb1a2236b07948e83e0a777e1795d4f07e52c33
[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/drivers/gpu/drm/ttm/ttm_page_alloc.c?id=ae937fe19636067ec5e20d7f1fa10c6cc6000b52

* virtio-gpu without ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN
@ 2018-10-29 19:46 ` Michael Forney
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Forney @ 2018-10-29 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dri-devel, virtualization, linux-riscv

@ 2018-10-29 20:06 ` David Abdurachmanov
From: David Abdurachmanov @ 2018-10-29 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 8:47 PM Michael Forney <mforney@mforney.org> wrote:

> - Should riscv support ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN?

Non-expert here, but it looks like ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN
support is generic, and a number of well known architectures
support it.

So it's basically two line patch someone needs to send and
at least make a test by building the kernel. I can do that if you want.

david

* Re: virtio-gpu without ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN
@ 2018-10-29 20:06   ` David Abdurachmanov
From: David Abdurachmanov @ 2018-10-29 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mforney; +Cc: linux-riscv, dri-devel, virtualization

@ 2018-10-30  7:23 ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2018-10-30  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 12:46:34PM -0700, Michael Forney wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking at adding virtio-gpu support to tinyemu
> (https://bellard.org/tinyemu/). I got it to work on x86, but just for
> fun I tried it under riscv and ran into an issue with buffer
> allocations (though, this should affect any arch without
> ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN).
>
> virtio-gpu uses ttm to allocate buffers, which swaps pages to ensure
> that they aren't consecutive[0][1].

Interesting.

While hacking the virtio-gpu ttm code I've already noticed that I get
non-contignous memory even for small allocations (cursor, which is only
4 pages), but havn't found the time yet to look at this.

Christian, care to explain the background?  The commit message sounds a
bit like it papers over a bug somewhere else.

> However, this causes sg_alloc_table_from_pages to use a sg entry for
> every single page, limiting buffers to only 170 pages (the number of
> sg entries that can fit into a page). This is only 417x417 with 32bpp.
> I believe the page swapping also makes TRANSFER_TO_HOST_2D inefficient
> by forcing the host to do many memcpys instead of just a few.

Probably not *that* bad, the amount of data copyed doesn't change after
all.  But, yes, I'd prefer to have shorter sh lists too.

cheers,
  Gerd

@ 2018-10-30  7:23   ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2018-10-30  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Forney, christian.koenig; +Cc: linux-riscv, dri-devel, virtualization

@ 2018-10-30  9:27   ` Koenig, Christian
From: Koenig, Christian @ 2018-10-30  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

Am 30.10.18 um 08:23 schrieb Gerd Hoffmann:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 12:46:34PM -0700, Michael Forney wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was looking at adding virtio-gpu support to tinyemu
>> (https://bellard.org/tinyemu/). I got it to work on x86, but just for
>> fun I tried it under riscv and ran into an issue with buffer
>> allocations (though, this should affect any arch without
>> ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN).
>>
>> virtio-gpu uses ttm to allocate buffers, which swaps pages to ensure
>> that they aren't consecutive[0][1].
> Interesting.
>
> While hacking the virtio-gpu ttm code I've already noticed that I get
> non-contignous memory even for small allocations (cursor, which is only
> 4 pages), but havn't found the time yet to look at this.
>
> Christian, care to explain the background?  The commit message sounds a
> bit like it papers over a bug somewhere else.

The problem is that the TTM pool handler thinks that we need to free
pages to the huge page pool when it sees that they are consecutive.

The root problem of that in turn is that we can't use compound pages for
device allocated memory, but a real fix for that would require quite
some work in the MM.

What we can do rather easily is to paper over the problem by only
swapping page 511 and 510 to avoid that the pool things that this is a
huge page.

Regards,
Christian.

From: Koenig, Christian @ 2018-10-30  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann, Michael Forney; +Cc: linux-riscv, dri-devel, virtualization

@ 2018-10-30 17:25   ` Michael Forney
From: Michael Forney @ 2018-10-30 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

On 2018-10-29, David Abdurachmanov <david.abdurachmanov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 8:47 PM Michael Forney <mforney@mforney.org> wrote:
>>
>> - Should riscv support ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN?
>
> Non-expert here, but it looks like ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN
> support is generic, and a number of well known architectures
> support it.
>
> So it's basically two line patch someone needs to send and
> at least make a test by building the kernel. I can do that if you want.

If that's all there is to it, then yeah, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Though, I assume there's *some* architecture-specific consideration
that needs to be done, since it has to be selected on each
architecture that supports it.

From: Michael Forney @ 2018-10-30 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Abdurachmanov; +Cc: linux-riscv, dri-devel, virtualization

On 2018-10-29, David Abdurachmanov <david.abdurachmanov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 8:47 PM Michael Forney <mforney@mforney.org> wrote:
>>
>> - Should riscv support ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN?
>
> Non-expert here, but it looks like ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN
> support is generic, and a number of well known architectures
> support it.
>
> So it's basically two line patch someone needs to send and
> at least make a test by building the kernel. I can do that if you want.

If that's all there is to it, then yeah, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Though, I assume there's *some* architecture-specific consideration
that needs to be done, since it has to be selected on each
architecture that supports it.

* virtio-gpu without ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-10-31  6:12 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-10-31  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

There is no good reason to not define ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN.  To fix
your immediate problem just select it from riscv, as riscv uses
the generic dma-direct code which is chained S/G safe by definition.

And if you want to get extra points do a quick audit of the remaning
iommu drivers on architectures that don't define it so that we can
kill the symbol.

From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-10-31  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Forney; +Cc: linux-riscv, dri-devel, virtualization

@ 2018-10-31  8:48     ` David Abdurachmanov
From: David Abdurachmanov @ 2018-10-31  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 6:25 PM Michael Forney <mforney@mforney.org> wrote:

> On 2018-10-29, David Abdurachmanov <david.abdurachmanov@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 8:47 PM Michael Forney <mforney@mforney.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> - Should riscv support ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN?
> >
> > Non-expert here, but it looks like ARCH_HAS_SG_CHAIN
> > support is generic, and a number of well known architectures
> > support it.
> >
> > So it's basically two line patch someone needs to send and
> > at least make a test by building the kernel. I can do that if you want.
>
> If that's all there is to it, then yeah, that would be appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Though, I assume there's *some* architecture-specific consideration
> that needs to be done, since it has to be selected on each
> architecture that supports it.

Done it yesterday morning. Compile-tested and I am running
the kernel w/o any issues.

Btw, if you get virtio-gpu support in TinyEMU it would be interesting
to see how that works with Fedora. I have some instructions about
that here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/RISC-V/Installing#Boot_under_TinyEMU_.28RISCVEMU.29

From: David Abdurachmanov @ 2018-10-31  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Forney; +Cc: linux-riscv, dri-devel, virtualization