linux-riscv.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* Perf-related compilation issues
@ 2019-10-23 15:15 Nick Kossifidis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Kossifidis @ 2019-10-23 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

Hello all,

a) Compiling the current fixes branch with a minimal config I get the
following error:

riscv64-unknown-linux-gnu-ld: arch/riscv/kernel/perf_callchain.o: in
function `.L0 ':
perf_callchain.c:(.text+0x16a): undefined reference to `walk_stackframe'
make: *** [Makefile:1074: vmlinux] Error 1

I've removed the static delcaration of walk_stackframe on stackframe.c
and marked walk_stackframe as extern on perf_callchain.c to fix the
above issue.

b) Then If I compile the kernel without CONFIG_RISCV_BASE_PMU I get

./arch/riscv/include/asm/perf_event.h:26:2: error: #error "Please
provide a valid RISCV_MAX_COUNTERS for the PMU."
 #error "Please provide a valid RISCV_MAX_COUNTERS for the PMU."

I noticed that the only place where CONFIG_RISCV_BASE_PMU is checked is
on perf_event.h and only for this parameter that's not defined anywhere
else. So for now if one tries to compile the kernel without PMU the
kernel won't compile + I don't see how unsetting this saves code size as
the config description says.

Since I'm not familiar with the perf code how should I approach this ?
Is the fix on a correct ? How should we handle b ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Nick