Linux-rt-users archive on lore.kernel.org
* How to use PREEMPT_RT with kernel 5.4
@ 2019-12-08 13:15 Vladimir Kondratiev
From: Vladimir Kondratiev @ 2019-12-08 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Hi,

I need to build RT enabled kernel.

With kernels up to and including 5.2, there was fairly easy procedure
for building RT enabled kernel - apply patch, then RT features are
immediately available in "make xxxconfig".

Now, with 5.4. CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT is merged, but it depends_on
ARCH_SUPPORTS_RT that, in turn, does not set for any architecture.

How should I proceed from here? Am I supposed to just set
ARCH_SUPPORTS_RT for my architecture? Do I need any other patches to
start? If yes, where to get it? I see not all patches in the 5.2 bundle
are merged mainline.

Thanks, Vladimir

* Re: How to use PREEMPT_RT with kernel 5.4
@ 2019-12-09  9:59 ` Ralf Mardorf
From: Ralf Mardorf @ 2019-12-09  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Hi,

just out of curiosity, why can't you use a rt patched 5.2 kernel
or either a non-patched 5.4 kernel with BOOT_IMAGE=...threadirqs...,
let alone a 4.x longterm rt patched kernel?

Regards,
Ralf

* Re: How to use PREEMPT_RT with kernel 5.4
@ 2019-12-09 11:50   ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2019-12-09 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Hi,

Am Montag, 9. Dezember 2019, 10:59:20 CET schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> just out of curiosity, why can't you use a rt patched 5.2 kernel

v5.2 is EOL and receives no (security) updates anymore. Projected EOL for v5.4
is December 2021.

But I'm sure you already knew that. ;-)