linux-rt-users.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Can't disable local timer interrupts on the isolated core
@ 2018-11-15 10:32 Mohsen Alizadeh Noghani
From: Mohsen Alizadeh Noghani @ 2018-11-15 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Hello everyone.
I'm using 4.4.162-rt175 and a core i3-4170 processor. I would like my
only real-time process (1 thread) to run on an isolated core, without
interruptions by the local timer.
* Support for fully tickless opration is enabled in the kernel configuration
CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL=y
* Kernel boot parameters for isolating CPU 1,
isolcpus=1 nohz=on nohz_full=1 rcu_nocbs=1
However, even when I haven't assigned any process to CPU 1, it's being
interrupted by the timer tick at a rate of 1 KHz (HZ_1000=y), as seen
in the output of
cat /proc/interrupts
1- Is there something I'm missing in the configuration or boot parameters?
2- If tickless operation is not possible, what is the second-best
combination of timer tick handling and timer frequency configurations?
Is "Periodic timer ticks" preferable to "Idle dynticks system"? Is a
lower timer frequency better as the only process on the isolated CPU
gets interrupted less?
Best,
Mohsen

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-11-15 20:39 UTC | newest]