Linux-RTC Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Reminder: 1 open syzbot bug in rtc subsystem
@ 2019-07-24  2:50 Eric Biggers
  2019-07-28 13:23 ` Pavel Machek
  2019-07-31  2:33 ` Eric Biggers
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Eric Biggers @ 2019-07-24  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rtc, Alessandro Zummo, Alexandre Belloni
  Cc: linux-kernel, syzkaller-bugs

[This email was generated by a script.  Let me know if you have any suggestions
to make it better, or if you want it re-generated with the latest status.]

Of the currently open syzbot reports against the upstream kernel, I've manually
marked 1 of them as possibly being a bug in the rtc subsystem.

If you believe this bug is no longer valid, please close the syzbot report by
sending a '#syz fix', '#syz dup', or '#syz invalid' command in reply to the
original thread, as explained at https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status

If you believe I misattributed this bug to the rtc subsystem, please let me
know, and if possible forward the report to the correct people or mailing list.

Here is the bug:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title:              BUG: workqueue lockup (4)
Last occurred:      40 days ago
Reported:           289 days ago
Branches:           Mainline and others
Dashboard link:     https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?id=0041bf1423916e9ae458b08b760e269a33c14960
Original thread:    https://lkml.kernel.org/lkml/0000000000005764090577a27486@google.com/T/#u

This bug has a C reproducer.

The original thread for this bug received 4 replies; the last was 42 days ago.

If you fix this bug, please add the following tag to the commit:
    Reported-by: syzbot+08116743f8ad6f9a6de7@syzkaller.appspotmail.com

If you send any email or patch for this bug, please consider replying to the
original thread.  For the git send-email command to use, or tips on how to reply
if the thread isn't in your mailbox, see the "Reply instructions" at
https://lkml.kernel.org/r/0000000000005764090577a27486@google.com


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Reminder: 1 open syzbot bug in rtc subsystem
  2019-07-24  2:50 Reminder: 1 open syzbot bug in rtc subsystem Eric Biggers
@ 2019-07-28 13:23 ` Pavel Machek
  2019-07-31  2:27   ` Eric Biggers
  2019-07-31  2:33 ` Eric Biggers
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-07-28 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rtc, Alessandro Zummo, Alexandre Belloni, linux-kernel,
	syzkaller-bugs

On Tue 2019-07-23 19:50:08, Eric Biggers wrote:
> [This email was generated by a script.  Let me know if you have any suggestions
> to make it better, or if you want it re-generated with the latest status.]
> 
> Of the currently open syzbot reports against the upstream kernel, I've manually
> marked 1 of them as possibly being a bug in the rtc subsystem.
> 
> If you believe this bug is no longer valid, please close the syzbot report by
> sending a '#syz fix', '#syz dup', or '#syz invalid' command in reply to the
> original thread, as explained at https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status
> 
> If you believe I misattributed this bug to the rtc subsystem, please let me
> know, and if possible forward the report to the correct people or mailing list.
> 
> Here is the bug:


Can you stop spamming lkml?

Sending 20 "reminders" in a row is not something human would do, and it is not
something your bot should be allowed to do, either.

										Pavel


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Reminder: 1 open syzbot bug in rtc subsystem
  2019-07-28 13:23 ` Pavel Machek
@ 2019-07-31  2:27   ` Eric Biggers
  2019-08-02 10:24     ` Pavel Machek
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Eric Biggers @ 2019-07-31  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: linux-rtc, Alessandro Zummo, Alexandre Belloni, linux-kernel,
	syzkaller-bugs

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 03:23:33PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Tue 2019-07-23 19:50:08, Eric Biggers wrote:
> > [This email was generated by a script.  Let me know if you have any suggestions
> > to make it better, or if you want it re-generated with the latest status.]
> > 
> > Of the currently open syzbot reports against the upstream kernel, I've manually
> > marked 1 of them as possibly being a bug in the rtc subsystem.
> > 
> > If you believe this bug is no longer valid, please close the syzbot report by
> > sending a '#syz fix', '#syz dup', or '#syz invalid' command in reply to the
> > original thread, as explained at https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status
> > 
> > If you believe I misattributed this bug to the rtc subsystem, please let me
> > know, and if possible forward the report to the correct people or mailing list.
> > 
> > Here is the bug:
> 
> 
> Can you stop spamming lkml?
> 
> Sending 20 "reminders" in a row is not something human would do, and it is not
> something your bot should be allowed to do, either.
> 

Hi Pavel, just to clarify, though I used a script to generate these emails, I
manually reviewed and sent each one; I also manually assigned the subsystems and
sanity checked the bisection results.  (I'm also not on the syzbot team.  I just
care about the security and reliability of the Linux kernel...)  The reason
there are so many of these emails is that there are a lot of kernel subsystems
with open bug reports, many clearly still valid -- even considering that I
decided to skip some subsystems after deciding to just fix the bugs myself,
update the bug statuses myself, send some other email, or just wait.

I suppose there's some argument to be made that it's too noisy to Cc
linux-kernel when I've already assigned a subsystem, though, so I'll try
dropping linux-kernel from Cc for next time and just using the subsystem list
and maintainers, and see if that goes any better or worse.

Note that the syzbot reports themselves are still going to linux-kernel, though.

Thanks!

- Eric

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Reminder: 1 open syzbot bug in rtc subsystem
  2019-07-24  2:50 Reminder: 1 open syzbot bug in rtc subsystem Eric Biggers
  2019-07-28 13:23 ` Pavel Machek
@ 2019-07-31  2:33 ` Eric Biggers
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Eric Biggers @ 2019-07-31  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hillf Danton
  Cc: linux-rtc, Alessandro Zummo, Alexandre Belloni, linux-kernel,
	syzkaller-bugs

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 03:47:45PM +0800, Hillf Danton wrote:
> 
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 19:50:08 -0700
> > 
> > [This email was generated by a script.  Let me know if you have any suggestions
> > to make it better, or if you want it re-generated with the latest status.]
> > 
> > Of the currently open syzbot reports against the upstream kernel, I've manually
> > marked 1 of them as possibly being a bug in the rtc subsystem.
> > 
> > If you believe this bug is no longer valid, please close the syzbot report by
> > sending a '#syz fix', '#syz dup', or '#syz invalid' command in reply to the
> > original thread, as explained at https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status
> > 
> > If you believe I misattributed this bug to the rtc subsystem, please let me
> > know, and if possible forward the report to the correct people or mailing list.
> > 
> > Here is the bug:
> > 
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Title:              BUG: workqueue lockup (4)
> > Last occurred:      40 days ago
> > Reported:           289 days ago
> > Branches:           Mainline and others
> > Dashboard link:     https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?id=0041bf1423916e9ae458b08b760e269a33c14960
> > Original thread:    https://lkml.kernel.org/lkml/0000000000005764090577a27486@google.com/T/#u
> > 
> Better if %s=lkml.kernel.org=lore.kernel.org=
> 

Out of curiosity, is there a reason for this?  They both go to the same place,
but the reason I used lkml.kernel.org is that some high-profile kernel
developers (e.g. Andrew Morton) are using it in the "Link: " tag in commits.
So it seems like lkml.kernel.org is maybe "right" one that is intended to
always keep working in the future?

But then I see Greg KH is using lore.kernel.org, so maybe it doesn't matter?

Maybe lore.kernel.org is better because people won't confuse it with lkml.org
and refuse to go to it :-)

- Eric

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Reminder: 1 open syzbot bug in rtc subsystem
  2019-07-31  2:27   ` Eric Biggers
@ 2019-08-02 10:24     ` Pavel Machek
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-08-02 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rtc, Alessandro Zummo, Alexandre Belloni, linux-kernel,
	syzkaller-bugs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2429 bytes --]

On Tue 2019-07-30 19:27:07, Eric Biggers wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 03:23:33PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > On Tue 2019-07-23 19:50:08, Eric Biggers wrote:
> > > [This email was generated by a script.  Let me know if you have any suggestions
> > > to make it better, or if you want it re-generated with the latest status.]
> > > 
> > > Of the currently open syzbot reports against the upstream kernel, I've manually
> > > marked 1 of them as possibly being a bug in the rtc subsystem.
> > > 
> > > If you believe this bug is no longer valid, please close the syzbot report by
> > > sending a '#syz fix', '#syz dup', or '#syz invalid' command in reply to the
> > > original thread, as explained at https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status
> > > 
> > > If you believe I misattributed this bug to the rtc subsystem, please let me
> > > know, and if possible forward the report to the correct people or mailing list.
> > > 
> > > Here is the bug:
> > 
> > 
> > Can you stop spamming lkml?
> > 
> > Sending 20 "reminders" in a row is not something human would do, and it is not
> > something your bot should be allowed to do, either.
> > 
> 
> Hi Pavel, just to clarify, though I used a script to generate these emails, I
> manually reviewed and sent each one; I also manually assigned the subsystems and
> sanity checked the bisection results.  (I'm also not on the syzbot team.  I just
> care about the security and reliability of the Linux kernel...)  The reason
> there are so many of these emails is that there are a lot of kernel subsystems
> with open bug reports, many clearly still valid -- even considering that I
> decided to skip some subsystems after deciding to just fix the bugs myself,
> update the bug statuses myself, send some other email, or just wait.
> 
> I suppose there's some argument to be made that it's too noisy to Cc
> linux-kernel when I've already assigned a subsystem, though, so I'll try
> dropping linux-kernel from Cc for next time and just using the subsystem list
> and maintainers, and see if that goes any better or worse.

That should do the trick. Thanks!

> Note that the syzbot reports themselves are still going to linux-kernel, though.

Yes, I know. I'm not entirely sure that is good idea.

									Pavel
-- 
(english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
(cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

[-- Attachment #2: Digital signature --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 181 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Reminder: 1 open syzbot bug in rtc subsystem
@ 2019-07-02  5:10 Eric Biggers
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Eric Biggers @ 2019-07-02  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rtc, Alessandro Zummo, Alexandre Belloni
  Cc: linux-kernel, syzkaller-bugs

[This email was generated by a script.  Let me know if you have any suggestions
to make it better, or if you want it re-generated with the latest status.]

Of the currently open syzbot reports against the upstream kernel, I've manually
marked 1 of them as possibly being a bug in the rtc subsystem.

If you believe this bug is no longer valid, please close the syzbot report by
sending a '#syz fix', '#syz dup', or '#syz invalid' command in reply to the
original thread, as explained at https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status

If you believe I misattributed this bug to the rtc subsystem, please let me
know, and if possible forward the report to the correct people or mailing list.

Here is the bug:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title:              BUG: workqueue lockup (4)
Last occurred:      19 days ago
Reported:           267 days ago
Branches:           Mainline and others
Dashboard link:     https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?id=0041bf1423916e9ae458b08b760e269a33c14960
Original thread:    https://lkml.kernel.org/lkml/0000000000005764090577a27486@google.com/T/#u

This bug has a C reproducer.

The original thread for this bug received 4 replies; the last was 20 days ago.

If you fix this bug, please add the following tag to the commit:
    Reported-by: syzbot+08116743f8ad6f9a6de7@syzkaller.appspotmail.com

If you send any email or patch for this bug, please consider replying to the
original thread.  For the git send-email command to use, or tips on how to reply
if the thread isn't in your mailbox, see the "Reply instructions" at
https://lkml.kernel.org/r/0000000000005764090577a27486@google.com


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-07-24  2:50 Reminder: 1 open syzbot bug in rtc subsystem Eric Biggers
2019-07-28 13:23 ` Pavel Machek
2019-07-31  2:27   ` Eric Biggers
2019-08-02 10:24     ` Pavel Machek
2019-07-31  2:33 ` Eric Biggers
  -- strict thread matches above, loose matches on Subject: below --
2019-07-02  5:10 Eric Biggers

Linux-RTC Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-rtc/0 linux-rtc/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-rtc linux-rtc/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-rtc \
		linux-rtc@vger.kernel.org linux-rtc@archiver.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index linux-rtc


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.linux-rtc


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox