linux-security-module.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Should PCI "new_id" support be disabled when kernel is locked down?
@ 2019-09-04 15:59 Ian Abbott
From: Ian Abbott @ 2019-09-04 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-security-module; +Cc: linux-pci

Hello,

The "new_id" PCI driver sysfs attribute can be used to make an arbitrary
PCI driver match an arbitrary PCI vendor/device ID.  That could easily
crash the kernel or at least make it do weird things if used
inappropriately.  Is this scenario in scope for the "lockdown" security
module?

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti@mev.co.uk> || Web: www.mev.co.uk )=-
-=( MEV Ltd. is a company registered in England & Wales. )=-

* Re: Should PCI "new_id" support be disabled when kernel is locked down?
@ 2019-09-04 16:47 ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2019-09-04 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Abbott; +Cc: LSM List, linux-pci

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 9:12 AM Ian Abbott <abbotti@mev.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The "new_id" PCI driver sysfs attribute can be used to make an arbitrary
> PCI driver match an arbitrary PCI vendor/device ID.  That could easily
> crash the kernel or at least make it do weird things if used
> inappropriately.  Is this scenario in scope for the "lockdown" security
> module?

Crashing the kernel isn't really a concern - the issue is more whether
it's possible to get a driver to perform a sufficient number of writes
to a device that it can in turn cause the device to overwrite the
kernel in a controlled manner. This seems theoretically possible, but
I think I'm inclined to leave it as is unless someone demonstrates
that it's more than theoretical.