linux-spdx.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult" <lkml@metux.net>
To: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>, linux-spdx@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ASIS-1 patch 0/6] Deep review of 'AS IS' disclaimers - part 1
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 16:04:55 +0000	[thread overview]

On 05.06.19 10:15, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

Hi,

> The first batch is from the 'AS IS' category. All patches in this series
> have the same modification of the standard GPLv2 disclaimer.
>
> Standard disclaimer:
>
>      this program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful
>      but without any warranty without even the implied warranty of
>      merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose
>
> Modified diclaimer:
>
>      this program is distributed as is without any warranty of any kind
>      whether express[ed] or implied without even the implied warranty of
>      merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose
>
> The NO WARRANTY section of the GPLv2 contains:
>
>      PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER
>      EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
>      WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE

trying to switch in shyster (*1) mode ...

the modified disclaimer differs in:

a) - the expressed hope for usefulness (oh, the code is allowed to be
      completely beyond any hope ;-))
b) + really complete exclusion of any warranty whatsoever, implicitly
      interpreted one.

Who knows, what certain lawyers or judges out there on the high seas
might make out of that ... :o

> In my opinion the modified disclaimer contains nothing which is
> substantially different, but I might be wrong as usual.

With my human brain back online, I'd like to agree.
Therefore, for the whole batch:

Reviewed-By: Enrico Weigelt <info@metux.net>

> In case we agree on that, I would amend the changelogs of the individual
> patches with a paragraph explaining our conclusion. Something along the
> lines:
>
>      The patterns deviate from the standard GPLv2 disclaimer, but the
>      modification does not expand beyond the standard disclaimer and the NO
>      WARRANTY section of the GPLv2. So replacing the license notice
>      including the modified disclaimer with the SPDX license identifier
>      results in the same protections and conditions.

ACK.

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult