linux-spi.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* 2006/1/28 patches to pxa2xx-spi in 2.6.25 tree
@ 2008-02-14 21:45 Ned Forrester
From: Ned Forrester @ 2008-02-14 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell, stephen-nl6u4wocdmy51APUEpUfAkEOCMrvLtNR
  Cc: spi-devel-general-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	eric.miao-eYqpPyKDWXRBDgjK7y7TUQ

David:

I wonder if you have seen the two patches submitted by Eric Miao that
appeared in the 2.6.25 git tree on 1/26/08 for drivers/spi/pxa2xx-spi.c
and related files.  They do not appear to have been passed through
spi-devel-general, which is why I did not see them before. They were
signed off by Russell King and not by you.  These patches make
significant changes in way pxa2xx_spi plugs into the kernel, and appear
to require changes in the platform setup that will likely affect all
users.  They also make drivers/spi/pxa2xx-spi.c dependent on
arch/arm/mach-pxa/ssp.c.

Are these changes compatible with the grand scheme of things?  I don't
have much visibility of the direction in which the kernel or the spi
core is heading, so I can't tell.

Eric:

It seems there should have been a related patch to
Documentation/spi/pxa2xx to change the examples for platform setup,
along the lines of what your patch calls for in
arch/arm/mach-pxa/lubbock.c, and to add information about struct ssp_device.

--
Ned Forrester                                       nforrester-/d+BM93fTQY@public.gmane.org
Oceanographic Systems Lab                                  508-289-2226

* Re: 2006/1/28 patches to pxa2xx-spi in 2.6.25 tree
@ 2008-02-15  0:42 ` Eric Miao
       [not found]   ` <E913911567467945BBEB9277E27868B0880975-3TKN+kxLw8+HXkj8w7BxOhL4W9x8LtSr@public.gmane.org>
From: Eric Miao @ 2008-02-15  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ned Forrester, David Brownell, stephen-nl6u4wocdmy51APUEpUfAkEOCMrvLtNR
  Cc: spi-devel-general-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Let me clarify:

Yes, I apologize I break the potential rules here for two reasons:

1. I was not aware of the existence of spi-devel-general mailinglist
at that time (I know this now :)

2. This patch is one of the series of patches refactoring PXA/ARM SSP
code, and the other patches are tightly PXA/ARM related, and David
reviewed part of the patch if not all.

And indeed yes, I will fire another patch correcting the doc, maybe
after another round of SSP code clean-up.

Any other concerns/issues about the driver, please make me CC'ed, so
I'll try fix them if Stephen isn't available.

Thanks
- eric

@ 2008-02-15  1:09     ` Ned Forrester
From: Ned Forrester @ 2008-02-15  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Miao
  Cc: David Brownell,

Eric Miao wrote:
> Let me clarify:
>
> Yes, I apologize I break the potential rules here for two reasons:
>
> 1. I was not aware of the existence of spi-devel-general mailinglist
> at that time (I know this now :)
>
> 2. This patch is one of the series of patches refactoring PXA/ARM SSP
> code, and the other patches are tightly PXA/ARM related, and David
> reviewed part of the patch if not all.

I guess change is the price of progress.

> And indeed yes, I will fire another patch correcting the doc, maybe
> after another round of SSP code clean-up.

Thanks.

> Any other concerns/issues about the driver, please make me CC'ed, so
> I'll try fix them if Stephen isn't available.

The only outstanding issue that I am aware of is a minor problem with
the sequence of setting chip select that was discussed on
spi-devel-general this week.  Stephen has not chimed in on that issue,
so I will submit a patch for that myself, either tomorrow or early next
week.  I will do this patch so that it won't break a heavily modified
version of pxa2xx_spi.c that I am working on, which deals with chained
transfers using DMA descriptors (don't expect to ever see it submitted
for inclusion in the kernel, but I am trying to stay in sync, anyway).

I have examined the patches you submitted, so far, and I think they do
not interfere with my version.  Someday I will be able to test, but I
work from the distribution provided with the Gumstix computers, and they
are currently at 2.6.21 (and I am still at 2.6.20), so it may be a year
or more before I see 2.6.25.

--

@ 2008-02-23  2:44     ` David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2008-02-23  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Miao
  Cc: Ned Forrester,
	spi-devel-general-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	stephen-nl6u4wocdmy51APUEpUfAkEOCMrvLtNR

On Thursday 14 February 2008, Eric Miao topquoted (sigh):

> 2. This patch is one of the series of patches refactoring PXA/ARM SSP
> code, and the other patches are tightly PXA/ARM related, and David
> reviewed part of the patch if not all.

I skimmed that bit.  Time to track all the details of the PXA overhaul
is lacking.

> And indeed yes, I will fire another patch correcting the doc, maybe
> after another round of SSP code clean-up.

That doc update should happen before 2.6.25-final ...

> > From: Ned Forrester [mailto:nforrester-/d+BM93fTQY@public.gmane.org]
> >
> > I wonder if you have seen the two patches submitted by Eric Miao that
> > appeared in the 2.6.25 git tree on 1/26/08 for drivers/spi/pxa2xx-spi.c
> > and related files.  ...
> >
> > Are these changes compatible with the grand scheme of things?  I don't
> > have much visibility of the direction in which the kernel or the spi
> > core is heading, so I can't tell.

It's more "PXA overhaul" stuff.  The *SSP modules should become more
generally usable, not unlike what drivers/misc/atmel-ssc.c does, so
that they can easily be used for SPI, I2S, or whatever.  It'd probably
be good to have a dma-capable core, for example, that gets re-used.

- Dave