linux-spi.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* spi-omap2: AM335x SPI interface 3WIRE mode
@ 2017-06-07 23:01 Daniele Nicolodi
       [not found] ` <a5070efe-4ed7-b6e3-dd4a-95be963a63b2-4Vzs6UKX4iGsTnJN9+BGXg@public.gmane.org>
From: Daniele Nicolodi @ 2017-06-07 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-spi-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	samuel.ortiz-xNZwKgViW5gAvxtiuMwx3w,
	juha.yrjola-xNZwKgViW5gAvxtiuMwx3w

Hello,

I would like to interface a SoC system based on an AM335x processor (in
the specific a BeagleBone Black) to some peripherals speaking SPI in
3-wire mode.

Looking at the spi-omap2 driver code (kernel version 3.11.4), the 3WIRE
mode is not supported, but a comment in the code suggests that this may
be supported by the hardware. The TRM indeed reports that the the McSPI
in the AM335x processors supports 3-wire SPI.

Does anyone have the code to add 3-wire SPI mode support to the driver?

No?! I guess that would have been too much luck.  In that case, can
someone point me to what needs to be done to add this support to the
driver?  I may figure it out by myself, but a little guidance would
probably help to make it happen before I loose interest :-)

Thank you!  Best,
Daniele

* Re: spi-omap2: AM335x SPI interface 3WIRE mode
       [not found] ` <a5070efe-4ed7-b6e3-dd4a-95be963a63b2-4Vzs6UKX4iGsTnJN9+BGXg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-06-07 23:14   ` Daniele Nicolodi
       [not found]     ` <2ef4a006-5ec2-e8e8-f8f3-58e0079603b7-4Vzs6UKX4iGsTnJN9+BGXg@public.gmane.org>
From: Daniele Nicolodi @ 2017-06-07 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-spi-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Mark Brown

On 6/7/17 5:01 PM, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to interface a SoC system based on an AM335x processor (in
> the specific a BeagleBone Black) to some peripherals speaking SPI in
> 3-wire mode.
>
> Looking at the spi-omap2 driver code (kernel version 3.11.4), the 3WIRE
> mode is not supported, but a comment in the code suggests that this may
> be supported by the hardware. The TRM indeed reports that the the McSPI
> in the AM335x processors supports 3-wire SPI.
>
> Does anyone have the code to add 3-wire SPI mode support to the driver?
>
> No?! I guess that would have been too much luck.  In that case, can
> someone point me to what needs to be done to add this support to the
> driver?  I may figure it out by myself, but a little guidance would
> probably help to make it happen before I loose interest :-)
>
> Thank you!  Best,
> Daniele

PS: The emails to the authors of the spi-omap2 driver have bounced. This
is not too surprisingly given the domain is nokia.com.

I'm adding Mark to the recipients of this email as suggested by
get_maintainers.pl.  Who else may be interested on this driver or be
able to comment on my issue?

Thanks! Cheers,

@ 2017-06-19 16:32       ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2017-06-19 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)