linux-spi.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* SPI TX andRX buffer overlap
@ 2008-11-13 20:02 Ned Forrester
       [not found] ` <491C87BF.6030905-/d+BM93fTQY@public.gmane.org>
From: Ned Forrester @ 2008-11-13 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: spi-devel

David,

In DMA mode, pxa2xx_spi.c fails to detect the case where the tx and rx
buffers overlap, and thus it performs dma_map_single incorrectly for
that case.  I am working on a patch for that, but I have a question
about overlapped buffers.

I know that it is legitimate for the tx and rx buffers to be the same;
spidev passes identical tx and rx addresses, for example.  I plan to fix
pxa2xx_spi so that it handles buffers having the same start address
(completely overlapped), in addition to the currently handled case of
completely non-overlapped buffers.  For shared buffers, I plan to call
dma_map_single() and dma_unmap_single() once for the buffer with a
parameter of DMA_BIDIRECTIONAL (let me know if that is not correct).

That said, I would like to know whether I can/should reject the case of
overlapped buffers that do not have the same start address.  As I try to
program for that case, the code is getting ugly.  It would be cleaner to
detect overlapped but unequal buffers and refuse DMA in that case.
Comments?

--
Ned Forrester                                       nforrester-/d+BM93fTQY@public.gmane.org
Oceanographic Systems Lab                                  508-289-2226