linux-spi.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Linux 2.6.20 on AT91RM9200 writing SPI dataflash AT45DB011B.
@ 2008-01-23 14:25 Matt Gessner
From: Matt Gessner @ 2008-01-23 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spi-devel-general-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hello,

I've got an AT91RM9200, running 2.6.20.  I'd like to be able to do
something like:

                  % dd if=myfile.dat of=/dev/mtdblock/2

which is an Atmel dataflash on SPI.  I get 'operation not permitted'.
The device file is marked as writable, and I removed the mask bit that
says the device isn't writable.  But I still get operation not
permitted.  at91_dataflash_write is linked into the kernel, but
something is preventing the write().  I'm going to delve down into the
kernel to see what I can discover, but I'm wondering if anyone can
tell me now if this isn't going to work at all.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Matt Gessner

P.S. I recently found the place in the kernel that checks to see if
the starting address is aligned with the erase size of the part.
Well, it's not.  However, u-boot doesn't have that particular
restriction, and I'm wondering if I can get around what the kernel's
drivers are doing.  I have a one-time operation I have to do with
something (rewrite the u-boot environment from linux) and if I didn't
have to rewrite all of u-boot, that'd be great too.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-01-23 14:25 UTC | newest]