linux-toolchains.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: [tip: x86/pasid] x86/asm: Carve out a generic movdir64b() helper for general usage
       [not found]     ` <20201007211327.GN5607@zn.tnic>
@ 2020-10-08  6:49       ` Peter Zijlstra
From: Peter Zijlstra @ 2020-10-08  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Petkov
  Cc: linux-kernel, linux-tip-commits, Michael Matz, Dave Jiang,
	Borislav Petkov, Tony Luck, x86, hjl.tools, linux-toolchains

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 11:13:27PM +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 07:08:35PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > (%rdx), %rax, surely?
>
> Right, later. Already tagged the branch so that Vinod can base stuff ontop.
>
> > Also, that's a horrible convention, but I suppose (%rdx), (%rax) was
> > out?
>
> See the end of this mail:
>
> https://lkml.kernel.org/r/alpine.LSU.2.20.2009241356020.20802@wotan.suse.de

That, 100x that. Why wasn't it fixed then? How about we fix binutils to
accept the sane mnemonic as well?

> > Can we pretty please get a binutils version that knows about this
> > instruction, such that we know when we can get rid of the silly .byte
> > encoded mess?
>
> It looks like support for this insn got introduced in this binutils commit:
>
> c0a30a9f0ab4 ("Enable Intel MOVDIRI, MOVDIR64B instructions")
>
> So I guess from 2.31 onwards:

Then we'll just keep the byte code around until we reach the min
binutils that's sane, but at least we can fix the comment to not be
insane.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-10-08  6:49 UTC | newest]