linux-trace-users.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* how to continuously capture events
@ 2021-05-05 12:21 Lin Wang
From: Lin Wang @ 2021-05-05 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-trace-users

Hi all,

I'm new to ftrace and linux programming in general. Forgive me for
asking dumb questions.

I'm trying to continuously capture certain kernel events, convert them
to a different format and then write them to a file.

I understand that trace_pipe should be used for streaming. But I'm not
sure how to read the content of trace_pipe at event boundary (I
currently just read it to a temp buffer which would sometimes cut the
last event in half). I discovered libtraceevent and libtracefs that I
think are meant to help with this kind of tasks, so I'm reading the
source code of trace-cmd to find examples. But so far the progress has
been slow.

Could anyone point me to the right direction, or advise me with a
general outline of what I should do to achieve my task?

Thanks,
Lin