linux-trace-users.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* kernelshark: Proper way to install documents when packaging as rpm
@ 2022-10-11 15:15 Zamir SUN
From: Zamir SUN @ 2022-10-11 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-trace-users

Hi,

When I am working on packaging kernelshark as RPM, I noticed that
kernelshark documents cannot be installed with make
install. My compiling steps is like the following (with the passing of
compiling flags omitted in this email to reduce length)

cd build
cmake ..  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Package -D_DOXYGEN_DOC=1
make V=1 all doc

And installation is by

cd build
make V=1 install

Manually running the expanded commands I see there are actually
documents compiled under Documentation dir. But the make install did not
copy that. `make list_install_components` shows that

Available install components are: "kernelshark" "libkshark-devel"
"polkit-policy"

Additionally, simply going into Documentation dir and run make install
will just result in error

No rule to make target '/Documentation/kernelshark.1'

So I feel this isn't the right way either. So I wonder if I should
manually copy all the stuff (or a subset?) from Documentation dir into
the package, or is there a preferred installation step that I missed?

Thanks in advance.
--
Zamir SUN
Fedora user

* Re: kernelshark: Proper way to install documents when packaging as rpm
@ 2022-10-12 16:37 ` Yordan Karadzhov
From: Yordan Karadzhov @ 2022-10-12 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zamir SUN, linux-trace-users

Hi Zamir,

We never had a functional installation of the documentation. The
documentation itself needs significant amount of work, so I would prefer
to keep it only as an option for those enthusiasts who want to build the
project from source.

Thanks!
Yordan

@ 2022-10-14 11:32   ` Zamir SUN
From: Zamir SUN @ 2022-10-14 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yordan Karadzhov, linux-trace-users

Hi Yordan,

Thanks for the info. This also makes sense. As a packager I can still
decide and chose the files that is useful and manually wrap it into the RPM.

Thanks.