linux-usb.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>
To: Felipe Balbi <balbi@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Disconnect race in Gadget core
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 12:58:30 -0400	[thread overview]

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 10:35:59AM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu> writes:
> > On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 10:00:41AM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> >> Hmm, IIRC only the storage gadget defers work to another thread.
> >
> > Well, the composite core is built into almost every gadget, and doesn't
> > it handle Set-Configuration and Set-Interface requests in a separate
> > thread?  Or doesn't it expect function drivers to do so?
>
> composite.c doesn't defer anything to a separate thread by itself. The
> gadget driver, if it finds it necessary, should handle it
> internally. Most gadget drivers handle all of this in interrupt context.
>
> > After all, the gadget first learns about config or altsetting changes
> > when it receives a Set-Configuration or Set-Interface request, which
> > happens in interrupt context.  But changing configs or altsettings
> > requires disabling/enabling endpoints, which needs a process context
> > (see the kerneldoc for usb_ep_enable and usb_ep_disable).
>
> Ouch, I don't think any driver is guaranteeing that other than the
> storage gadget.

A quick search shows that USB_GADGET_DELAYED_STATUS is used in f_fs.c,
f_tcm.c, and f_uvc.c in addition to f_mass_storage.c.  So the situation
isn't as bad as you thought, although it should be better.

Anyway, getting back to the main point...

To minimize disruption, suppose we add a new callback to usb_gadget_ops:

	void	(*udc_async_callbacks)(struct usb_gadget *, int enable);

The UDC core can call this at the appropriate times, if it is not NULL.
It allows the core to tell a UDC driver whether or not to issue
callbacks for setup, disconnect, reset, suspend, and resume.  It doesn't
affect request completion callbacks.

So for removing a driver, the proper sequence will be:

	usb_gadget_disconnect()
	if (gadget->ops->udc_async_callbacks)
		gadget->ops->udc_async_callbacks(gadget, 0);
	synchronize_irq()
	udc->driver->unbind()
	usb_gadget_udc_stop()

Or maybe the last two steps should be reversed.  In udc_bind_to_driver,
the opposite sequence is:

	bind
	udc_start
	enable async callbacks