linux-usb.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Peter Chen <peter.chen@nxp.com>
To: Allen Blaylock <AllenB@epiloglaser.com>,
	Manu Gautam <mgautam@codeaurora.org>
Cc: "linux-usb@vger.kernel.org" <linux-usb@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: EHSET with hub and PCIe root hub
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 00:49:50 +0000	[thread overview]

> >> EHSET is used to test embedded host electrical signal required by USB
> >> IF Compliance Test, not test the signal for USB HUB, since the EHSET
> >> module could only let embedded host controller enter test mode by
> >> writing TEST MODE registers follows EHCI or xHCI spec. Maybe the USB
> >> HUB could let its port enter test mode, but it needs to use other
> >> ways, maybe vendor specific commands.
> >
> >IMO ehset should work with external HUB as well since all it takes to put a HUB's
> port in compliance mode is sending a SetFeature request which I believe driver
> already does. If HUB is sending stall then you can try putting a different port in
> compliance which is not connected.
>
> How do I specify which port I put in compliance? The way I have been doing it was
> using a PIDVID from testusb.com which, as I understand it, turns into the correct
> device by setting its VID and PID so by nature of how it works I must have a
> "device" connected.

Which port your test device is connected, then which port will enter test mode, it is
controlled by EHSET. The test device's VID/PID must be the same with ehset_id_table
in ehset.c.

For external HUB, I have never done since I only test USB controller on SoC.
As Manu said, if it supports the commands in EHSET in its firmware, it should support
put its downstream port in test mode.

Peter