* rtl8xxxu: Should it support RTL8188EU?
@ 2022-10-01 21:42 Bitterblue Smith
From: Bitterblue Smith @ 2022-10-01 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless; +Cc: Jes Sorensen, Larry Finger

Considering there is a driver for RTL8188EU already in staging,
which people have been whittling down, should I put any effort
into adding support to rtl8xxxu?

It's actually mostly working already [0], but rtl8xxxu doesn't
have AP mode, adhoc mode, power saving, etc so it wouldn't be
necessarily better than the driver in staging.

[0] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jes/linux.git/log/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtl8xxxu?h=rtl8xxxu-8188eu

* Re: rtl8xxxu: Should it support RTL8188EU?
@ 2022-10-03 13:12 ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2022-10-03 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bitterblue Smith, linux-wireless; +Cc: Larry Finger

On 10/1/22 17:42, Bitterblue Smith wrote:
> Considering there is a driver for RTL8188EU already in staging,
> which people have been whittling down, should I put any effort
> into adding support to rtl8xxxu?
>
> It's actually mostly working already [0], but rtl8xxxu doesn't
> have AP mode, adhoc mode, power saving, etc so it wouldn't be
> necessarily better than the driver in staging.
>
> [0] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jes/linux.git/log/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtl8xxxu?h=rtl8xxxu-8188eu

The staging driver is based on the vendor driver which is rather
dreadful. Given the similarity of the chips, it feels really silly to
have a second driver for just one chip.

I see no reason to abandon 8188eu support in rtl8xxxu, but given my
total lack of time, I am also not able to invest in it.

Cheers,
Jes

* Re: rtl8xxxu: Should it support RTL8188EU?
@ 2022-10-20 11:40   ` Bitterblue Smith
From: Bitterblue Smith @ 2022-10-20 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jes Sorensen, linux-wireless; +Cc: Larry Finger

On 03/10/2022 16:12, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> On 10/1/22 17:42, Bitterblue Smith wrote:
>> Considering there is a driver for RTL8188EU already in staging,
>> which people have been whittling down, should I put any effort
>> into adding support to rtl8xxxu?
>>
>> It's actually mostly working already [0], but rtl8xxxu doesn't
>> have AP mode, adhoc mode, power saving, etc so it wouldn't be
>> necessarily better than the driver in staging.
>>
>> [0] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jes/linux.git/log/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtl8xxxu?h=rtl8xxxu-8188eu
>
> The staging driver is based on the vendor driver which is rather
> dreadful. Given the similarity of the chips, it feels really silly to
> have a second driver for just one chip.
>
> I see no reason to abandon 8188eu support in rtl8xxxu, but given my
> total lack of time, I am also not able to invest in it.
>
> Cheers,
> Jes

So now I actually tested r8188eu and it's so bad. Why are people
spending so much time cleaning up a driver that doesn't work well?
With the default module parameters it had 35% packet loss with the
router 3 meters away in the same room. With rtw_power_mgnt=0 the
packet loss is gone but the speed is still disappointing: less than
50 megabits/second download, 65-70 upload, and it's unsteady.

The v5.2.2.4 driver from Larry Finger's repo works much better:
no packet loss and a steady 95 and 85 megabits/second in the same
conditions.

I'll get started then.