* Difficulty connecting to AP using rtw89
@ 2021-07-16  0:51 Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2021-07-16  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi,

I am trying to help some users of my GitHub repo for rtw89. Several are having
problems trying to connect to their APs. When their AP scan lists the following:

WPA:	 * Version: 1
	 * Group cipher: TKIP
	 * Pairwise ciphers: TKIP
	 * Authentication suites: PSK
RSN:	 * Version: 1
	 * Group cipher: TKIP
	 * Pairwise ciphers: CCMP
	 * Authentication suites: PSK
	 * Capabilities: 1-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x0000)

I have no problems. My scan results show:

         RSN:     * Version: 1
                  * Group cipher: CCMP
                  * Pairwise ciphers: CCMP
                  * Authentication suites: PSK
                  * Capabilities: 16-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x000c)

At least one of them can connect to a hotspot created on his phone; however, it
also shows Capabilities: 16-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x000c). I have tried to
discover what causes the difference between this value and that of Capabilities:
1-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x0000). No matter how I setup my APs, I always get
16-PTKSA-RC.

Can anyone help me understand this problem?

Thanks,

Larry