* libertas_tf
@ 2010-08-25 19:21 Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2010-08-25 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Is anyone using libertas_tf? I believe it has been broken since
2.6.34-rc1. Anyone want to fix it?

johannes

* Re: libertas_tf
@ 2010-09-07 17:35 ` Steve deRosier
From: Steve deRosier @ 2010-09-07 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: linux-wireless

Johannes,

I'm actively working on it.  OLPC's XO-1.5 and also some Gumstix users
are using it right now.  In particular I've added an sdio interface
for the 8686 as well as some other general fixes.  I'm trying to get
it to a state to push it up to wireless-testing now.

If you or anyone else is interested, the details are on OLPC's wiki:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5

- Steve

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> Is anyone using libertas_tf? I believe it has been broken since
> 2.6.34-rc1. Anyone want to fix it?
>
> johannes

* Re: libertas_tf
@ 2010-09-07 18:39   ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2010-09-07 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve deRosier; +Cc: linux-wireless

Steve,

> I'm actively working on it.  OLPC's XO-1.5 and also some Gumstix users
> are using it right now.  In particular I've added an sdio interface
> for the 8686 as well as some other general fixes.  I'm trying to get
> it to a state to push it up to wireless-testing now.
>
> If you or anyone else is interested, the details are on OLPC's wiki:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5

Thanks for letting us know.

>> Is anyone using libertas_tf? I believe it has been broken since
>> 2.6.34-rc1. Anyone want to fix it?

Is it working though on kernels newer than that? or do you have to set the
MAC addr manually?

johannes

* Re: libertas_tf
@ 2010-09-07 20:52     ` Steve deRosier
From: Steve deRosier @ 2010-09-07 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: linux-wireless

>>> Is anyone using libertas_tf? I believe it has been broken since
>>> 2.6.34-rc1. Anyone want to fix it?
>

> Is it working though on kernels newer than that? or do you have to set the
> MAC addr manually?

I've got it working on 2.6.34-rc5-wl, branched off commit
~8425ee8329f33 sometimes near the end of April 2010.  I've
significantly reworked some MAC addr stuff, including forcing the
module to request the MAC addr from the hardware and using that to set
the addr before the calls to setup mac80211.

I'm now working on getting it all up to head, so patches should be
coming soon.  Actually, on that note, how would you prefer I get them
to you?  We're talking about an entire new module, libertas_tf_sdio,
and lots of patches to the existing libertas_tf modules.  Something
like 40+ patches.  Would you prefer a patchset posted, or me to squash
a bunch into fewer but larger patches, or would you prefer to pull
from my git tree?

- Steve

* Re: libertas_tf
@ 2010-09-07 21:02       ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2010-09-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve deRosier; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 13:52:47 -0700, Steve deRosier <steve@cozybit.com>
wrote:
> I've got it working on 2.6.34-rc5-wl, branched off commit
> ~8425ee8329f33 sometimes near the end of April 2010.  I've
> significantly reworked some MAC addr stuff, including forcing the
> module to request the MAC addr from the hardware and using that to set
> the addr before the calls to setup mac80211.

Ah, ok, but that's the thing I was worried about ... if you're now giving
it the MAC address before setting up the mac80211 stuff, you should be fine
(and we can remove the workaround from mac80211, yay)

> I'm now working on getting it all up to head, so patches should be
> coming soon.  Actually, on that note, how would you prefer I get them
> to you?  We're talking about an entire new module, libertas_tf_sdio,
> and lots of patches to the existing libertas_tf modules.  Something
> like 40+ patches.  Would you prefer a patchset posted, or me to squash
> a bunch into fewer but larger patches, or would you prefer to pull
> from my git tree?

Sounds like a lot of stuff... John will have to answer that. I think
posting it piecemeal as much as possible would probably be preferable.

johannes

* Re: libertas_tf
@ 2010-09-09 14:10         ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2010-09-09 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: Steve deRosier, linux-wireless

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 11:02:45PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 13:52:47 -0700, Steve deRosier <steve@cozybit.com>
> wrote:

> > I'm now working on getting it all up to head, so patches should be
> > coming soon.  Actually, on that note, how would you prefer I get them
> > to you?  We're talking about an entire new module, libertas_tf_sdio,
> > and lots of patches to the existing libertas_tf modules.  Something
> > like 40+ patches.  Would you prefer a patchset posted, or me to squash
> > a bunch into fewer but larger patches, or would you prefer to pull
> > from my git tree?
>
> Sounds like a lot of stuff... John will have to answer that. I think
> posting it piecemeal as much as possible would probably be preferable.

Yes, just post the series.  If you can separate it into a few
sub-series that might be nice, but don't sweat that too much.

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.