* a simple wireless mesh network
@ 2010-08-26 15:19 Joel Fernandes
From: Joel Fernandes @ 2010-08-26 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi,
I am studying wireless mesh networks and wanted to play with open80211s.
As a part of my study, I want to demo, multiple nodes on a mesh
network and analyze the traffic in wireshark

Unfortunately I don't have many physical nodes so I'm looking for a
way to emulate them.

So far I've learnt that vmware and virtual box don't support virtual
wireless network adapters.

Any other suggestion that would make creating a wireless mesh network
for study purposes quick and painless?

Thanks a lot,
Joel

* Re: a simple wireless mesh network
@ 2010-08-26 15:24 ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2010-08-26 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Fernandes; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:19:23AM -0500, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> Hi,
> I am studying wireless mesh networks and wanted to play with open80211s.
> As a part of my study, I want to demo, multiple nodes on a mesh
> network and analyze the traffic in wireshark
>
> Unfortunately I don't have many physical nodes so I'm looking for a
> way to emulate them.
>
> So far I've learnt that vmware and virtual box don't support virtual
> wireless network adapters.
>
> Any other suggestion that would make creating a wireless mesh network
> for study purposes quick and painless?

mac80211_hwsim claims mesh support...

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: a simple wireless mesh network
@ 2010-08-26 15:28 ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2010-08-26 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Fernandes; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 10:19 -0500, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> Hi,
> I am studying wireless mesh networks and wanted to play with open80211s.
> As a part of my study, I want to demo, multiple nodes on a mesh
> network and analyze the traffic in wireshark
>
> Unfortunately I don't have many physical nodes so I'm looking for a
> way to emulate them.
>
> So far I've learnt that vmware and virtual box don't support virtual
> wireless network adapters.
>
> Any other suggestion that would make creating a wireless mesh network
> for study purposes quick and painless?

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/mac80211_hwsim

plus network namespaces, on a very new kernel where that actually works
(like current wireless-testing)

johannes