* [ath9k]: Beaconing process in ad-hoc mode
@ 2010-08-05 11:55 Jónatan Muñoz
From: Jónatan Muñoz @ 2010-08-05 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Dear All,

I am working in a project where I need to modified the currently beaconing
system for adhoc mode in ath9k, what I want to achieve is that each station
in an adhoc network send periodically a beacon. As I know, when a station in
the network receives a beacon before sending its own beacon, cancels the
transmission, updates its hw tsf based on the received beacon and waits for
a chance to send the beacon during next TBTT.

For my goal, I think that I should comment the part where the transmission
of the beacon is cancelled. In this way, each station will send a beacon
each 100TU (~100 ms). I know that this mean a increased traffic load on the
network, but it is so much important for the project to obtain a beacon for
each station each 100ms.

Right now, I am looking at the source code of ath9k, I am trying to modify
the file beacon.c, but I don’t find the way to get my purpose. Could anyone
help me to find the right place at the code that I have to modify? I am a
bit lost and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PD: Please excuse my poor English

John

Jónatan Muñoz
Email: jmunoz@umh.es
Ubiquitous Wireless Communications Research Laboratory
Uwicore, http://www.uwicore.umh.es
Signal Theory and Communications Division
University Miguel Hernández of Elche

Avenida de la Universidad s/n
Edificio Quorum V P2 012
03202, Elche (Alicante)
Spain
Tel: +34 96522 2031 /+34 669256708
Fax: +34 96665 8903

* Re: [ath9k]: Beaconing process in ad-hoc mode
@ 2010-08-05 13:45 ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2010-08-05 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jónatan Muñoz; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 01:55:05PM +0200, Jónatan Muñoz wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am working in a project where I need to modified the currently beaconing
> system for adhoc mode in ath9k, what I want to achieve is that each station
> in an adhoc network send periodically a beacon. As I know, when a station in
> the network receives a beacon before sending its own beacon, cancels the
> transmission, updates its hw tsf based on the received beacon and waits for
> a chance to send the beacon during next TBTT.
>
> For my goal, I think that I should comment the part where the transmission
> of the beacon is cancelled. In this way, each station will send a beacon
> each 100TU (~100 ms). I know that this mean a increased traffic load on the
> network, but it is so much important for the project to obtain a beacon for
> each station each 100ms.
>
> Right now, I am looking at the source code of ath9k, I am trying to modify
> the file beacon.c, but I don’t find the way to get my purpose. Could anyone
> help me to find the right place at the code that I have to modify? I am a
> bit lost and any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PD: Please excuse my poor English
>
> John

I think you should be looking in net/mac80211/ibss.c.

Hth!

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* RE: [ath9k]: Beaconing process in ad-hoc mode
@ 2010-08-06 10:48   ` Jónatan Muñoz
From: Jónatan Muñoz @ 2010-08-06 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'John W. Linville'; +Cc: linux-wireless

Dear John,

Thanks for your help. I am looking in net/mac80211/ibss.c.
I see the ieee80211_rx_mgmt_beacon function but I don't find anything about
beacon tx, or about tsf update. I am still lost.

static void ieee80211_rx_mgmt_beacon(struct ieee80211_sub_if_data *sdata,
				     struct ieee80211_mgmt *mgmt,
				     size_t len,
				     struct ieee80211_rx_status *rx_status)
{
	size_t baselen;
	struct ieee802_11_elems elems;

	/* Process beacon from the current BSS */
	baselen = (u8 *) mgmt->u.beacon.variable - (u8 *) mgmt;
	if (baselen > len)
		return;

	ieee802_11_parse_elems(mgmt->u.beacon.variable, len - baselen,
&elems);

	ieee80211_rx_bss_info(sdata, mgmt, len, rx_status, &elems, true);
}

Any tip more, please?

Thank you in advance