* Intel 8265/8275 microcode
@ 2017-07-15  9:03 David Goodenough
From: David Goodenough @ 2017-07-15  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

I have a laptop which reports the wifi adapter to be an 8265/8275 rev 78
and the driver complains that it can not find:-

iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-27.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-28.ucode

and they not appear to be in the kernel.org github.  Where do I find
them and could they be added to github?

Thank you

David

* Re: Intel 8265/8275 microcode
@ 2017-07-15 20:58 ` Luca Coelho
From: Luca Coelho @ 2017-07-15 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Goodenough, linux-wireless

On Sat, 2017-07-15 at 10:03 +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> I have a laptop which reports the wifi adapter to be an 8265/8275 rev 78
> and the driver complains that it can not find:-
>
> iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-27.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-28.ucode
>
> and they not appear to be in the kernel.org github.  Where do I find
> them and could they be added to github?

Does your wifi card work? The driver tries to find one of the supported
versions, starting from highest and going down to the lowest.  It seems
that you have -22.ucode and, if that's the case, everything should be
fine and you can ignore these messages.

It is an old known problem that there is no way to try to load a
firmware without getting an error message.  People are working on
solving this, but until then, just ignore this messages and everything
should be fine. :)

--
Cheers,
Luca.

* Re: Intel 8265/8275 microcode
@ 2017-07-16  8:58   ` David Goodenough
From: David Goodenough @ 2017-07-16  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

You are right, it was working all along, I just had another config error which
meant that it did not seem to be working.

I followed by usual problem solving which is to look for the first error
message.  Should have looked further.

thanks for your help

David

On Saturday, 15 July 2017 23:58:56 BST Luca Coelho wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-07-15 at 10:03 +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> > I have a laptop which reports the wifi adapter to be an 8265/8275 rev 78
> > and the driver complains that it can not find:-
> >
> > iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode
> > iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode
> > iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode
> > iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode
> > iwlwifi-8265-27.ucode
> > iwlwifi-8265-28.ucode
> >
> > and they not appear to be in the kernel.org github.  Where do I find
> > them and could they be added to github?
>
> Does your wifi card work? The driver tries to find one of the supported
> versions, starting from highest and going down to the lowest.  It seems
> that you have -22.ucode and, if that's the case, everything should be
> fine and you can ignore these messages.
>
> It is an old known problem that there is no way to try to load a
> firmware without getting an error message.  People are working on
> solving this, but until then, just ignore this messages and everything
> should be fine. :)
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Luca.