* Re: 8812ae driver
       [not found]   ` <CALfyEABiZ7J6suNLQR6AW0eU3SS_oot08-Yz9xiZ5G7HtTya6A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-10-10 16:38     ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2020-10-10 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mal C; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 10/9/20 5:14 PM, Mal C wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> Thank you for getting back to me. Here are the outputs. I am on 5.8 kernel. I've
> tried blacklisting the "rtl8821ae" preinstalled maodule in order to allow the
> 8812au to take over but it seems to do nothing. Also, I have tried unbinding
> from usr/src but the echo command keeps returning a "no such device" error. I
> really appreciate any time and advice you can provide.
>

> -Mal
>

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 5:01 PM Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net
> <mailto:Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/9/20 2:05 PM, Mal C wrote:
>      > Hello Larry,
>      >
>      > I hope this email finds you well.
>      >
>      > I found your email on github and wanted to reach out to first thank you for
>      > making the drivers and also to see if you could provide some advice.
>      >
>      > I'm using asus pce-ac51 which has the 8812ae chipset and I just cannot
>     seem to
>      > get the driver and all working properly. Initially, I was running linux
>     mint on
>      > a machine that I just built a few months ago. For some reason, the module
>     would
>      > only work if I ran the install script and rebooted. Then, after that
>     session,
>      > the module would be forgotten and I would have to go through the same
>     process
>      > again. Then it stopped working altogether, even with the install and reboot.
>      >
>      > Now, I am running the newest manjaro release and have just tried to
>     install your
>      > module again. I followed all of the steps exactly and had no issues, but
>     there
>      > is no recognition at all of the wifi card.
>      >
>      > I am wondering if you have encountered this problem before and if you
>     might have
>      > any advice. My only idea is that there might be a dependency issue with some
>      > other wifi module that came with the manjaro installation but it's just a
>     guess.
>
>     Normally, I do not answer private E-mail, and I probably will not answer any
>     more of yours. If you want an answer, CC linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
>     <mailto:linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>!
>
>     First of all, I did not write the driver. I only make it available to persons
>     running older kernels. The only other instance of the driver not working was
>     from a guy that actually had an Atheros chip, not a Realtek one.
>
>     Once the driver is installed, it should continue to work for that kernel. A
>     change in the kernel would force it to be reloaded. I am assuming that your
>     kernel is older than 5.9. If that is not true, then you need to use the driver
>     in the kernel.

> [...]

Where are the answers to my questions? If you want my help, then you need to
participate!!!!

The rtl8812ae chip is driven by the rtl8821ae driver. An 8812au is a USB device,
whereas the ones that end in an "e" are PCIe devices. Do you really think that
they will interfere?

Larry

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-10-10 22:52 UTC | newest]