* when to use wdev_lock()
@ 2017-05-03 10:04 Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2017-05-03 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: linux-wireless

Hi Johannes,

I bumped into use of wdev_lock() again with 802.1X 4-way-hs offload
stuff. So for .set_pmk() and .del_pmk() it takes wdev_lock(). Is there a
rule of thumb when this lock is needed. What is it protecting in general
and in the case of pmk configuration.

Regards,
Arend

* Re: when to use wdev_lock()
@ 2017-05-17 13:15 ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2017-05-17 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel; +Cc: linux-wireless

Hi Arend,

Sorry for the long delay.

> I bumped into use of wdev_lock() again with 802.1X 4-way-hs offload
> stuff. So for .set_pmk() and .del_pmk() it takes wdev_lock(). Is
> there a  rule of thumb when this lock is needed. What is it
> protecting in general  and in the case of pmk configuration.

No, unfortunately it's not very well defined.

One thing that drove this is that mac80211 (and perhaps some full-mac
drivers) uses the same lock to prevent races between their own and
cfg80211's state. So some of the locking is driven by that as well.

I think it may have been done here just for consistency with other
calls.

johannes