* Google Summer of Code 2010 - Please resolve duplicates
@ 2010-04-19 19:39 Till Kamppeter
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2010-04-19 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Ts'o, Greg KH, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo,
	Luis R. Rodriguez, linux-kernel, linux-wireless, Witold Sowa,
	Johannes Berg, Grant Likely

Hi,

two students who applied for your projects have applied also for another
organization's project and they got accepted by us and by the other
organization.

Until Wednesday Google wants these situation to be resolved until
Wednesday April 21, 17:00 UTC. Please contact the students and/or the
organization to agree on one of the project for each student.

In addition, the ranking of the students (to decide who actually gets
our slots) and the mentor assignments have to be finalized by the same
date and time.

Duplicates not be resolved until then will be resolved on an IRC meeting
on Wednesday April 21 at 19:00 UTC. The meeting takes place in the #gsoc
channel on Freenode.

Please mail me if a mentor needs to be (re)assigned.

    Till

Hi all,

I have opened the duplicate information for students to all of your
orgs. If you view your student proposals now the ones that are ranked
to be accepted that are duplicated with another org will be marked in
red. If you click on the proposal you will see the contact information
for the other organization(s)'s admins near the bottom of the
proposal.

You must also have a mentor assigned to all the students in your top N
slots by now. If you do not have a mentor assigned to them the
duplicate detection script will not pick them up and we may have
duplicates we don't know about. That is bad, please fix that if its
the case.

Please try to resolve as many of these duplicate situations via email
in the next two days as possible - contact your fellow organizations,
be clear with each other about who is taking the student, and then
rank the student up if you are accepting him/her or mark the student
ineligible with a public comment that you have marked it ineligible
because of a duplicate situation if you are not taking the student.

The deadline for changing rankings is 17:00UTC on Wednesday, April 21.
All duplicates that have not been resolved by 17:00 UTC will be taken
to the IRC meeting at 19:00 UTC.

Cheers,
Carol

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 - Please resolve duplicates
@ 2010-04-19 22:46 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2010-04-19 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter
  Cc: Theodore Ts'o, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Luis R. Rodriguez,

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:39:34PM -0700, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> two students who applied for your projects have applied also for
> another organization's project and they got accepted by us and by
> the other organization.
>
> Until Wednesday Google wants these situation to be resolved until
> Wednesday April 21, 17:00 UTC. Please contact the students and/or
> the organization to agree on one of the project for each student.
>
> In addition, the ranking of the students (to decide who actually
> gets our slots) and the mentor assignments have to be finalized by
> the same date and time.
>
> Duplicates not be resolved until then will be resolved on an IRC
> meeting on Wednesday April 21 at 19:00 UTC. The meeting takes place
> in the #gsoc channel on Freenode.
>
> Please mail me if a mentor needs to be (re)assigned.
>
>    Till

> Hi all,
>
> I have opened the duplicate information for students to all of your
> orgs. If you view your student proposals now the ones that are ranked
> to be accepted that are duplicated with another org will be marked in
> red. If you click on the proposal you will see the contact information
> for the other organization(s)'s admins near the bottom of the
> proposal.
>
> You must also have a mentor assigned to all the students in your top N
> slots by now. If you do not have a mentor assigned to them the
> duplicate detection script will not pick them up and we may have
> duplicates we don't know about. That is bad, please fix that if its
> the case.
>
> Please try to resolve as many of these duplicate situations via email
> in the next two days as possible - contact your fellow organizations,
> be clear with each other about who is taking the student, and then
> rank the student up if you are accepting him/her or mark the student
> ineligible with a public comment that you have marked it ineligible
> because of a duplicate situation if you are not taking the student.
>
> The deadline for changing rankings is 17:00UTC on Wednesday, April 21.
> All duplicates that have not been resolved by 17:00 UTC will be taken
> to the IRC meeting at 19:00 UTC.

Have a pointer to the web site to do this?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 - Please resolve duplicates
@ 2010-04-19 22:57   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2010-04-19 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Theodore Ts'o, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Luis R. Rodriguez,

On 04/19/2010 03:46 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:39:34PM -0700, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> two students who applied for your projects have applied also for
>> another organization's project and they got accepted by us and by
>> the other organization.
>>
>> Until Wednesday Google wants these situation to be resolved until
>> Wednesday April 21, 17:00 UTC. Please contact the students and/or
>> the organization to agree on one of the project for each student.
>>
>> In addition, the ranking of the students (to decide who actually
>> gets our slots) and the mentor assignments have to be finalized by
>> the same date and time.
>>
>> Duplicates not be resolved until then will be resolved on an IRC
>> meeting on Wednesday April 21 at 19:00 UTC. The meeting takes place
>> in the #gsoc channel on Freenode.
>>
>> Please mail me if a mentor needs to be (re)assigned.
>>
>>     Till

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have opened the duplicate information for students to all of your
>> orgs. If you view your student proposals now the ones that are ranked
>> to be accepted that are duplicated with another org will be marked in
>> red. If you click on the proposal you will see the contact information
>> for the other organization(s)'s admins near the bottom of the
>> proposal.
>>
>> You must also have a mentor assigned to all the students in your top N
>> slots by now. If you do not have a mentor assigned to them the
>> duplicate detection script will not pick them up and we may have
>> duplicates we don't know about. That is bad, please fix that if its
>> the case.
>>
>> Please try to resolve as many of these duplicate situations via email
>> in the next two days as possible - contact your fellow organizations,
>> be clear with each other about who is taking the student, and then
>> rank the student up if you are accepting him/her or mark the student
>> ineligible with a public comment that you have marked it ineligible
>> because of a duplicate situation if you are not taking the student.
>>
>> The deadline for changing rankings is 17:00UTC on Wednesday, April 21.
>> All duplicates that have not been resolved by 17:00 UTC will be taken
>> to the IRC meeting at 19:00 UTC.
>
> Have a pointer to the web site to do this?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Sorry, here we go:

http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/org/list_proposals/google/gsoc2010/lf

Requires login as mentor.

    Till

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 - Please resolve duplicates
@ 2010-04-19 22:58   ` Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2010-04-19 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Till Kamppeter, Theodore Ts'o, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo,
	Luis R. Rodriguez, linux-kernel, linux-wireless, Witold Sowa,
	Johannes Berg, Grant Likely

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
<snipped>
>> I have opened the duplicate information for students to all of your
>> orgs. If you view your student proposals now the ones that are ranked
>> to be accepted that are duplicated with another org will be marked in
>> red. If you click on the proposal you will see the contact information
>> for the other organization(s)'s admins near the bottom of the
>> proposal.

<snipped>
> Have a pointer to the web site to do this?

I think the idea from the original announcement is for each pair of
organizations with duplicate applications, to contact each other, for
one of the organization to drop the student's application so the other
one can proceed. e.g. if a student applies to both linux foundation
and gnome (for example), the linux foundation admin should contact the
gnome admin to decide which organization to take the student (and
which one to withdraw. As for the question itself, somewhere under:
 - http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/home/google/gsoc2010

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 - Please resolve duplicates
@ 2010-04-20  6:13 ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2010-04-20  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter
  Cc: Theodore Ts'o, Greg KH, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo,

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 12:39 -0700, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> two students who applied for your projects have applied also for another
> organization's project and they got accepted by us and by the other
> organization.

I'm confused. How do I figure out which ones?

> Until Wednesday Google wants these situation to be resolved until
> Wednesday April 21, 17:00 UTC. Please contact the students and/or the
> organization to agree on one of the project for each student.
>
> In addition, the ranking of the students (to decide who actually gets
> our slots) and the mentor assignments have to be finalized by the same
> date and time.
>
> Duplicates not be resolved until then will be resolved on an IRC meeting
> on Wednesday April 21 at 19:00 UTC. The meeting takes place in the #gsoc
> channel on Freenode.
>
> Please mail me if a mentor needs to be (re)assigned.

Oh wow so I wasn't paying attention much after the initial ranking.

I'm certainly not qualified to mentor the ACL project, would somebody
else do that?

johannes

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 - Please resolve duplicates
@ 2010-04-20  7:19     ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2010-04-20  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Theodore Ts'o, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Luis R. Rodriguez,
	linux-kernel, linux-wireless, Witold Sowa, Johannes Berg,
	Grant Likely, Alexey Khoroshilov

On 04/19/2010 03:57 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Sorry, here we go:
>
> http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/org/list_proposals/google/gsoc2010/lf
>
> Requires login as mentor.
>
> Till

On this page students which are accepted by 2 or more orgs are marked
with "Duplicate" in red. Click on this "Duplicate" to get info to
contact the other org.

    Till

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 - Please resolve duplicates
@ 2010-04-20 12:43 ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2010-04-20 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter, Rik van Riel
  Cc: Theodore Ts'o, Greg KH, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo,
	Luis R. Rodriguez, linux-kernel, linux-wireless, Witold Sowa,
	Johannes Berg

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Till Kamppeter
<till.kamppeter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please mail me if a mentor needs to be (re)assigned.

Nitin Gupta has 2 proposals on the table (one pending acceptance, and
one rejection).  I'm assigned as mentor on both of them, but I'm
certainly not qualified.  Rik van Riel has expressed a willingness to
mentor Nitin.  Rik, are you willing to take on a second student, or
can you suggest somebody to mentor Nitin?

Alex Lorca's Locator/ID Separation Protocol project is pending
acceptance, but it has not been reviewed by anyone working in the area
of network routing.  Again, I'm not qualified to mentor this project
and I do not know who to suggest.

g.

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 - Please resolve duplicates
@ 2010-04-20 17:31   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2010-04-20 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely
  Cc: Rik van Riel, Theodore Ts'o, Greg KH,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Luis R. Rodriguez, linux-kernel,

On 04/20/2010 05:43 AM, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Till Kamppeter
> <till.kamppeter@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Please mail me if a mentor needs to be (re)assigned.
>
> Nitin Gupta has 2 proposals on the table (one pending acceptance, and
> one rejection).  I'm assigned as mentor on both of them, but I'm
> certainly not qualified.  Rik van Riel has expressed a willingness to
> mentor Nitin.  Rik, are you willing to take on a second student, or
> can you suggest somebody to mentor Nitin?

Set Rik as mentor for the project pending acceptance.

> Alex Lorca's Locator/ID Separation Protocol project is pending
> acceptance, but it has not been reviewed by anyone working in the area
> of network routing.  Again, I'm not qualified to mentor this project
> and I do not know who to suggest.

Seems that we have to reject this student because no one wants to mentor
him.

    TIll