* Re: brcmfmac (USB) driver for Linksys AE1200 donle in Ubuntu 12.04
       [not found] <CAP5Eh2wSyXQ7sMu+W9KSTrjBUZqAucaUUSk=K67q8F9LL9Ag0Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-07-31 10:49 ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2012-07-31 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Hackett; +Cc: brcm80211 development, linux-wireless

On 07/30/2012 05:02 PM, Paul Hackett wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm writing to you from Ireland and taking you up on your kind offer to
> "feel free to contact the developers listed below" in this
> site<http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211?highlight=%28broadcom%29%7C%2843235%29>
> .

I will try to be kind in my reply as well ;-)

> I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 (kernel 3.2.0-23-generic-pae) on a Dell E520 (CPU
> C2D 1,86 GHz)
>
> I recently bought a Linksys AE1200 wifi dongle (Broadcom 43235 chipset) for
> use on another machine (which I'll explain shortly).
>
> In Ubuntu, the brcmfmac.ko driver is already present in
>
> /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/brcm80211/brcmfmac/brcmfmac.ko

For the 3.2 kernel the brcmfmac only supported SDIO devices. USB support
was added in 3.4 kernel. However, the Linksys AE1200 needs a different
driver model that is not supported. So the only option for x86 is using
ndiswrapper.

> Two questions:
>
> 1. Should I have been able to get the brcmfmac driver working in Ubuntu
> 12.04 or is it still in development? If yes, what am I missing?

So the answer is no for the two reasons above. The brcmfmac support
BCM43235 only for chip revision 3 and higher. The Linksys AE1200 has an
older revision that requires a driver model that is not supported.

> 2. Are we likely to soon see an ARM version of a brcmfmac driver for the
> Raspberry Pi with which I can running my RPi wirelessly using the Linksys
> dongle?

The brcmfmac driver is already working for ARM platforms. We have both
SDIO and USB running on Pandaboard platform.

> Thank you for reading this.
> I hope you may have some time to respond.
>
> Very many thanks and best wishes
>
> Paul

Sorry my response may be disappointing.

Gr. AvS

* Re: brcmfmac (USB) driver for Linksys AE1200 donle in Ubuntu 12.04
@ 2012-08-01  5:24   ` Rafał Miłecki
From: Rafał Miłecki @ 2012-08-01  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel; +Cc: Paul Hackett, brcm80211 development, linux-wireless

2012/7/31 Arend van Spriel <arend@broadcom.com>:
> On 07/30/2012 05:02 PM, Paul Hackett wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm writing to you from Ireland and taking you up on your kind offer to
>> "feel free to contact the developers listed below" in this
>> site<http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211?highlight=%28broadcom%29%7C%2843235%29>
>> .
>
> I will try to be kind in my reply as well ;-)

It could be easier for everyone to put such info on wiki page. It's
much easier to find sth on (official?) wiki page than in archives of
mailing lists :)

--
Rafał

* Re: brcmfmac (USB) driver for Linksys AE1200 donle in Ubuntu 12.04
@ 2012-08-01  7:47     ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2012-08-01  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafał Miłecki
  Cc: Paul Hackett, brcm80211 development, linux-wireless

On 08/01/2012 07:24 AM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> 2012/7/31 Arend van Spriel <arend@broadcom.com>:
>> On 07/30/2012 05:02 PM, Paul Hackett wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm writing to you from Ireland and taking you up on your kind offer to
>>> "feel free to contact the developers listed below" in this
>>> site<http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211?highlight=%28broadcom%29%7C%2843235%29>
>>> .
>>
>> I will try to be kind in my reply as well ;-)
>
> It could be easier for everyone to put such info on wiki page. It's
> much easier to find sth on (official?) wiki page than in archives of
> mailing lists :)

Thanks Rafał,

Good point as the question on this device popped up earlier it is bound
to happen again. I will add this information on wireless.kernel.org twiki.

Gr. AvS