* realtek usb wifi based on "rtl8192cu"
@ 2013-04-10 10:07 Davide Marchi
From: Davide Marchi @ 2013-04-10 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi friends,
on realtek usb wifi based on "rtl8192cu",
using kernel 3.8.3.x or 3.8.6 the device seem work good, but is unable
to connect. Infinitely it ask me the wep/wpa key..

I've tested using kernel "Linux  3.8.3-103.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Mar 18
15:46:01 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"
and 3.8.6 vanilla (from kernel.org)

Asking to Larry Finger he says that from kernel 3.8.5 this issues is
fixed, but is not so, for my experience.

lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8178 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU
802.11n WLAN Adapter

many thanks

Davide
Italy

--
cosmogoniA
cosmogoniA<http://www.cosmogonia.org/>

* Re: realtek usb wifi based on "rtl8192cu"
@ 2013-04-10 14:56 ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2013-04-10 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davide Marchi; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 04/10/2013 05:07 AM, Davide Marchi wrote:
> Hi friends,
> on realtek usb wifi based on "rtl8192cu",
> using kernel 3.8.3.x or 3.8.6 the device seem work good, but is unable to
> connect. Infinitely it ask me the wep/wpa key..
>
> I've tested using kernel "Linux  3.8.3-103.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Mar 18
> 15:46:01 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"
> and 3.8.6 vanilla (from kernel.org)
>
> Asking to Larry Finger he says that from kernel 3.8.5 this issues is fixed, but
> is not so, for my experience.
>
> lsusb:
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8178 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n
> WLAN Adapter

If 3.8.6 does not fix it, then try the kernel from the wireless-testing git
tree. There were a number of other fixes in the code that will go into kernel
3.10, and my rtl8192cu devices (3 different models) work fine here with that
kernel. Unfortunately, those changes are not yet available in a compat-drivers
release.

Otherwise, you need to produce more definitive logging of what is failing.

Larry

* Re: realtek usb wifi based on "rtl8192cu"
@ 2013-04-11 16:46   ` Davide Marchi
From: Davide Marchi @ 2013-04-11 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Larry Finger ha scritto:
> On 04/10/2013 05:07 AM, Davide Marchi wrote:
>> [..]
>
> If 3.8.6 does not fix it, then try the kernel from the
> wireless-testing git tree. There were a number of other fixes in the
> code that will go into kernel 3.10, and my rtl8192cu devices (3
> different models) work fine here with that kernel. Unfortunately,
> those changes are not yet available in a compat-drivers release.
>
> Otherwise, you need to produce more definitive logging of what is
> failing.
>
> Larry
Hi Larry,
i've tryed with kernel "3.8.5-201.fc18" two device wireless Realtek usb:

no one of this work corretcly with kernel 3.8.5-201 Fedora or 3.8.6
vanilla (kernel.org)
eitherdo not connect to the wifi router, but they both see the wireless
networks

one of this, on kernel 3.2.x and 3.0. 8 vanilla (kernel.org) using the
Realtek driver work correctly:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un
802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   idVendor           0x7392 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd
   idProduct          0x7811 EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek
RTL8188CUS]
   bcdDevice            2.00
   iManufacturer           1 Realtek
   iProduct                2 802.11n WLAN Adapter
   iSerial                 3 00e04c000001
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength           46
     bNumInterfaces          1
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0x80
       (Bus Powered)
     MaxPower              500mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           4
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
       bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x03  EP 3 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
         bInterval               1
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
   bLength                10
   bDescriptorType         6
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0000
   (Bus Powered)

------------------
this one: doesn't work neitherwith Realtek driver on kernel 3.0.8 or
3.8.6 vanilla (kernel.org)

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8178 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU
802.11n WLAN Adapter
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   idVendor           0x0bda Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
   idProduct          0x8178 RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
   bcdDevice            2.00
   iManufacturer           1 Realtek
   iProduct                2 802.11n WLAN Adapter
   iSerial                 3 00e04c000001
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength           46
     bNumInterfaces          1
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0xa0
       (Bus Powered)
       Remote Wakeup
[...]

i will try the wireless-testing git tree and then I'll let you know,

for download the kernel source from the wireless-testing git tree is it
correct this procedure?

|git clone
|git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git

many thanks!

--

@ 2013-04-14 10:37     ` Davide Marchi
From: Davide Marchi @ 2013-04-14 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

On 04/10/2013  04:56 PM,Larry Finger wrote:
> If 3.8.6 does not fix it, then try the kernel from the
> wireless-testing git tree.
ok, i've tryed the wireless-testing git tree kernel (3.9.0-rc6 #1 SMP
x86_64 GNU/Linux), and doesn't work.
Infinitely it ask me the wep/wpa key..

any other suggestion? Module loading options?

many many thanks!

davide
italy

--
firma

@ 2013-04-14 14:15       ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2013-04-14 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davide Marchi; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 04/14/2013 05:37 AM, Davide Marchi wrote:
> On 04/10/2013  04:56 PM,Larry Finger wrote:
>> If 3.8.6 does not fix it, then try the kernel from the wireless-testing git tree.
> ok, i've tryed the wireless-testing git tree kernel (3.9.0-rc6 #1 SMP x86_64
> GNU/Linux), and doesn't work.
> Infinitely it ask me the wep/wpa key..
>
> any other suggestion? Module loading options?

That particular module has very few options - only "swenc=1" to force software
encryption, and "debug=X" to set the debug level. I doubt that either would help.

What are the details of your connection? You have never told what encryption you
are trying to use. I have no details of your AP make/model, and what firmware
you are using in it. Are you using NetworkManager, or some other means to
control the connection? If NM, what does the NM log show?

Does Fedora allow you to set the debug level in wpa-supplicant? If so, set it to
-ddd and post that log.

The final thing would be to capture the over-the-air traffic with wireshark or
kismet. The best results would be to use a third computer to capture the
encryption handshaking.

Larry