* Realtek 8822BE: r8822be vs. rtwpci (mainline / lwfinger)
@ 2019-12-06 16:48 Bjoern Franke
From: Bjoern Franke @ 2019-12-06 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi,

I'm a little confused about the status of the modules for the Realtek
8822BE.

Once, there was r8822be which had some issues, but worked more or less
reliable. Then came rtw88/rtwpci and in my Thinkpad A275 it is hardly
usable. According to the router, a 390Mbit AC connection exists, but
downloads drop to 70-100kb/s. The TX-Bitrate is stuck at 6.5Mbit and the
rx drop misc counter increases nearly every second from time to time -
while being at the same place all the time, 5m away from the router, a
FritzBox 7590.

In contrast to the mainline module, lwfingers module does not have the
TX-Bitrate-stuck issue and the connection drops are more rarely.

I switched to the 4.19 LTS kernel and r8822be gets a 866Mbit AC
connection with 200-300Mbit througput, which is somehow impressive
compared to the 50kbit-40Mbit of rtwpci. In addition, it shows that the
issues seem not to be caused by interferences, as here are only 3 5Ghz
wifis.

Can I do something to improve the situation regarding rtwpci?

Best Regards
Bjoern

* Re: Realtek 8822BE: r8822be vs. rtwpci (mainline / lwfinger)
@ 2019-12-09 10:54 ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2019-12-09 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjoern Franke, Yan-Hsuan Chuang; +Cc: linux-wireless

Bjoern Franke <bjo@schafweide.org> writes:

> I'm a little confused about the status of the modules for the Realtek
> 8822BE.
>
> Once, there was r8822be which had some issues, but worked more or less
> reliable. Then came rtw88/rtwpci and in my Thinkpad A275 it is hardly

Tony, that rtwpci sounds like very confusing name for a rtw88 module,
even I was first confused what driver is that. I think it should be
rtw88_pci or something like that.

--
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches

* RE: Realtek 8822BE: r8822be vs. rtwpci (mainline / lwfinger)
@ 2019-12-13  6:37   ` Tony Chuang
From: Tony Chuang @ 2019-12-13  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo, Bjoern Franke; +Cc: linux-wireless

> Subject: Re: Realtek 8822BE: r8822be vs. rtwpci (mainline / lwfinger)
>
> Bjoern Franke <bjo@schafweide.org> writes:
>
> > I'm a little confused about the status of the modules for the Realtek
> > 8822BE.
> >
> > Once, there was r8822be which had some issues, but worked more or less
> > reliable. Then came rtw88/rtwpci and in my Thinkpad A275 it is hardly
>
> Tony, that rtwpci sounds like very confusing name for a rtw88 module,
> even I was first confused what driver is that. I think it should be
> rtw88_pci or something like that.

True, I can rename it to rtw88_pci. I am also thinking if I should rename
all of the prefixes from "rtw_" to "rtw88_", but that seems to be a huge
patch. I will try to see if this is necessary to do it.

Yan-Hsuan

* Re: Realtek 8822BE: r8822be vs. rtwpci (mainline / lwfinger)
@ 2019-12-13  7:25     ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2019-12-13  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Chuang; +Cc: Bjoern Franke, linux-wireless

Tony Chuang <yhchuang@realtek.com> writes:

>> Subject: Re: Realtek 8822BE: r8822be vs. rtwpci (mainline / lwfinger)
>>
>> Bjoern Franke <bjo@schafweide.org> writes:
>>
>> > I'm a little confused about the status of the modules for the Realtek
>> > 8822BE.
>> >
>> > Once, there was r8822be which had some issues, but worked more or less
>> > reliable. Then came rtw88/rtwpci and in my Thinkpad A275 it is hardly
>>
>> Tony, that rtwpci sounds like very confusing name for a rtw88 module,
>> even I was first confused what driver is that. I think it should be
>> rtw88_pci or something like that.
>>

> True, I can rename it to rtw88_pci.

Great, thanks.

> I am also thinking if I should rename all of the prefixes from "rtw_"
> to "rtw88_", but that seems to be a huge patch. I will try to see if
> this is necessary to do it.

Yeah, that's not so important but good to have anyway. I think you
should start with symbols marked with EXPORT_SYMBOL().

--
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches