* wireless-testing regression: iwl3945 scan fails
@ 2009-07-22  5:27 Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2009-07-22  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless; +Cc: reinette.chatre

Good morning,

I just upgraded to rc3-wl (commit 225b6807) and my iwl3945 doesn't work
anymore, even scan fails. I don't have time to investigate this right
now, but I'll try to find some time during the evening.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: wireless-testing regression: iwl3945 scan fails
@ 2009-07-22 12:34 ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2009-07-22 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: linux-wireless, reinette.chatre

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 08:27:49AM +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:

> I just upgraded to rc3-wl (commit 225b6807) and my iwl3945 doesn't work
> anymore, even scan fails. I don't have time to investigate this right
> now, but I'll try to find some time during the evening.

Marcel had similar complaints yesterday evening.  I dunno which device
he has.  FWIW, the iwl5300 I have here seems to be working fine.

Maybe the Intel folks have some insight?  There was a big batch of
patches from them in yesterday's update.

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.
			¡Viva Honduras Libre!

* Re: wireless-testing regression: iwl3945 scan fails
@ 2009-07-22 14:44 ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2009-07-22 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless; +Cc: reinette.chatre, Johannes Berg

Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@iki.fi> writes:

> Good morning,
>
> I just upgraded to rc3-wl (commit 225b6807) and my iwl3945 doesn't work
> anymore, even scan fails. I don't have time to investigate this right
> now, but I'll try to find some time during the evening.

I have looked at this now a bit and I don't think this is an iwl3945
problem. Scanning seems to stall in some situations and iwl3945 doesn't
even receive the scan command.

Here's an example what's happening with wpa_supplicant from debian
unstable:

$ sudo ifup wlan0

[  104.468073] iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: firmware: requesting iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode
[  104.533234] iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: loaded firmware version 15.32.2.9
[  104.612049] phy0: device now idle
[  104.613091] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[  106.968392] phy0: device no longer idle - scanning
[  109.561397] phy0: device now idle
[  109.563737] wlan0: deauthenticating by local choice (reason=3)
[  109.563743] phy0: device no longer idle - in use

[waited a while]

$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Device or resource busy

$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Device or resource busy

$ sudo wpa_action wlan0 stop

[  191.649653] wlan0: deauthenticating by local choice (reason=3)
[  191.697619] phy0: device now idle

Also I have been able to reproduce the problem once with iw. For some
strange reason I have had to reboot my laptop to reproduce this,
unloading all wireless related modules (expect rfkill which I can't
unload due to dependencies) is not enough.

--

@ 2009-07-22 15:55   ` reinette chatre
From: reinette chatre @ 2009-07-22 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: linux-wireless, Johannes Berg

Hi Kalle,

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 07:44 -0700, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@iki.fi> writes:
>
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I just upgraded to rc3-wl (commit 225b6807) and my iwl3945 doesn't work
> > anymore, even scan fails. I don't have time to investigate this right
> > now, but I'll try to find some time during the evening.
>
> I have looked at this now a bit and I don't think this is an iwl3945
> problem. Scanning seems to stall in some situations and iwl3945 doesn't
> even receive the scan command.

The patches we sent recently did undergo testing under various scenarios
using wpa_supplicant. We have not done this testing after the
2.6.31-rc3-wl merge (yesterday) though. I just did a quick test on my
3945 using iwconfig to associate and it was able to do so on A and G
bands. Looks like I need to do some wpa_supplicant testing.

> Here's an example what's happening with wpa_supplicant from debian
> unstable:
>
> $ sudo ifup wlan0
>
> [  104.468073] iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: firmware: requesting iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode
> [  104.533234] iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: loaded firmware version 15.32.2.9
> [  104.612049] phy0: device now idle
> [  104.613091] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
> [  106.968392] phy0: device no longer idle - scanning
> [  109.561397] phy0: device now idle
> [  109.563737] wlan0: deauthenticating by local choice (reason=3)
> [  109.563743] phy0: device no longer idle - in use
>
> [waited a while]
>
> $ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
> wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Device or resource busy
>
> $ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
> wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Device or resource busy
>
> $ sudo wpa_action wlan0 stop
>
> [  191.649653] wlan0: deauthenticating by local choice (reason=3)
> [  191.697619] phy0: device now idle
>
> Also I have been able to reproduce the problem once with iw. For some
> strange reason I have had to reboot my laptop to reproduce this,
> unloading all wireless related modules (expect rfkill which I can't
> unload due to dependencies) is not enough.

Are you saying that this problem occurs always with wpa_supplicant and
sometimes with iw?

Reinette

* Re: wireless-testing regression: iwl3945 scan fails
@ 2009-07-22 16:24     ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2009-07-22 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reinette chatre; +Cc: Kalle Valo, linux-wireless, Johannes Berg

Hi Reinette,

> > > I just upgraded to rc3-wl (commit 225b6807) and my iwl3945 doesn't work
> > > anymore, even scan fails. I don't have time to investigate this right
> > > now, but I'll try to find some time during the evening.
> >
> > I have looked at this now a bit and I don't think this is an iwl3945
> > problem. Scanning seems to stall in some situations and iwl3945 doesn't
> > even receive the scan command.
>
> The patches we sent recently did undergo testing under various scenarios
> using wpa_supplicant. We have not done this testing after the
> 2.6.31-rc3-wl merge (yesterday) though. I just did a quick test on my
> 3945 using iwconfig to associate and it was able to do so on A and G
> bands. Looks like I need to do some wpa_supplicant testing.

can also at least get an IP address via DHCP and do some packet
transfer. I made the experience that DHCP works and then we get
disconnected seconds later.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: wireless-testing regression: iwl3945 scan fails
@ 2009-07-22 16:38       ` reinette chatre
From: reinette chatre @ 2009-07-22 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann; +Cc: Kalle Valo, linux-wireless, Johannes Berg

Hi Marcel,

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 09:24 -0700, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Reinette,

> > > I have looked at this now a bit and I don't think this is an iwl3945
> > > problem. Scanning seems to stall in some situations and iwl3945 doesn't
> > > even receive the scan command.
> >
> > The patches we sent recently did undergo testing under various scenarios
> > using wpa_supplicant. We have not done this testing after the
> > 2.6.31-rc3-wl merge (yesterday) though. I just did a quick test on my
> > 3945 using iwconfig to associate and it was able to do so on A and G
> > bands. Looks like I need to do some wpa_supplicant testing.
>
> can also at least get an IP address via DHCP and do some packet
> transfer. I made the experience that DHCP works and then we get
> disconnected seconds later.

I have seen this for a long time now. I am using wpa_supplicant to
connect to a WPA2 network using a 5100 device and get disconnected very
regularly (starts with "CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event -
remove keys" which is caused by a missing probe response from the AP).
In these cases wpa_supplicant is able to reconnect. This behavior is
also present in 2.6.31-rc3-wl from yesterday.

Do you not get reconnected after you get disconnected?

Reinette

* Re: wireless-testing regression: iwl3945 scan fails
@ 2009-07-24  9:28     ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2009-07-24  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reinette chatre; +Cc: linux-wireless, Johannes Berg

reinette chatre <reinette.chatre@intel.com> writes:

> Hi Kalle,

Hi Reinette,

>> I have looked at this now a bit and I don't think this is an iwl3945
>> problem. Scanning seems to stall in some situations and iwl3945 doesn't
>> even receive the scan command.
>
> The patches we sent recently did undergo testing under various scenarios
> using wpa_supplicant. We have not done this testing after the
> 2.6.31-rc3-wl merge (yesterday) though. I just did a quick test on my
> 3945 using iwconfig to associate and it was able to do so on A and G
> bands. Looks like I need to do some wpa_supplicant testing.

This odd problem might happen only in my setup.

>> Also I have been able to reproduce the problem once with iw. For some
>> strange reason I have had to reboot my laptop to reproduce this,
>> unloading all wireless related modules (expect rfkill which I can't
>> unload due to dependencies) is not enough.
>
> Are you saying that this problem occurs always with wpa_supplicant and
> sometimes with iw?

I did some more testing and I can now reproduce this with iw as well. I
just need to reboot my laptop to reproduce it. I'll debug this more on a
rainy day.

--

@ 2009-07-25  5:55       ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2009-07-25  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reinette chatre; +Cc: linux-wireless, Johannes Berg

Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@iki.fi> writes:

> reinette chatre <reinette.chatre@intel.com> writes:
>
>> Are you saying that this problem occurs always with wpa_supplicant and
>> sometimes with iw?
>
> I did some more testing and I can now reproduce this with iw as well. I
> just need to reboot my laptop to reproduce it. I'll debug this more on a
> rainy day.

This is getting very odd, I cannot reproduce the problem anymore with
rc4-wl. Just to be safe, I rebooted back to rc3-wl and I was immediately
able to reproduce it. To summarise, rc2-wl and rc4-wl were ok and only
rc3-wl is broken. So something fixed this, I just don't know what.

--

@ 2009-07-25  8:31         ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2009-07-25  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: reinette chatre, linux-wireless

On Sat, 2009-07-25 at 08:55 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@iki.fi> writes:
>
> > reinette chatre <reinette.chatre@intel.com> writes:
> >
> >> Are you saying that this problem occurs always with wpa_supplicant and
> >> sometimes with iw?
> >
> > I did some more testing and I can now reproduce this with iw as well. I
> > just need to reboot my laptop to reproduce it. I'll debug this more on a
> > rainy day.
>
> This is getting very odd, I cannot reproduce the problem anymore with
> rc4-wl. Just to be safe, I rebooted back to rc3-wl and I was immediately
> able to reproduce it. To summarise, rc2-wl and rc4-wl were ok and only
> rc3-wl is broken. So something fixed this, I just don't know what.

That makes sense though, I posted a fix for at least a similar problem
that only happened right after bootup ;)

johannes

* Re: wireless-testing regression: iwl3945 scan fails
@ 2009-07-25  9:18           ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2009-07-25  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: reinette chatre, linux-wireless

Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net> writes:

>> This is getting very odd, I cannot reproduce the problem anymore with
>> rc4-wl. Just to be safe, I rebooted back to rc3-wl and I was immediately
>> able to reproduce it. To summarise, rc2-wl and rc4-wl were ok and only
>> rc3-wl is broken. So something fixed this, I just don't know what.
>
> That makes sense though, I posted a fix for at least a similar problem
> that only happened right after bootup ;)

The patch in question:

  commit 8b0fd0af6b36b2123af7da4eabe228d1fc101e38
  Author: Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net>
  Date:   Thu Jul 23 16:50:16 2009 +0200

    mac80211: fix mlme timeouts

I tried reverting the patch in rc4-wl and I again was able to reproduce
the problem. This confirms that the patch fixed it. Thanks.

Tested-by: Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@iki.fi>

--
Kalle Valo