* Re: FW RT307x/RT309x
@ 2010-03-30 18:43 Xose Vazquez Perez
From: Xose Vazquez Perez @ 2010-03-30 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, linux-wireless

Luis Correia wrote:

> I'm sorry to be kinda annoying, but the firmware cannot be distributed
> unless it is available directly from Ralink's website with a proper
> license.
>
> Therefore I kindly request that nothing should be done about this request.
>
> I will personally contact Ralink and ask for the relevant firmware
> files to be made available.

FW files are inside the source code of the drivers:

./pci/2010_0115_RT3562_RT3062_Linux_STA_V2.3.0.0/include/firmware.h
./pci/2010_01_29_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.3.0.0/include/firmware.h
./pci/RT3090_LinuxSTA_V2.3.1.4_20100222/include/firmware.h
./usb/2009_1214_RT3572_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0/include/firmware.h
./usb/RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0/include/firmware.h
./usb/RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208/include/firmware.h

License:

/*
 Copyright (c) 2007, Ralink Technology Corporation
 All rights reserved.

 Redistribution.  Redistribution and use in binary form, without
 modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
 met:

 	* Redistributions must reproduce the above copyright notice and the
 	following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
 	provided with the distribution.
 	* Neither the name of Ralink Technology Corporation nor the names of its
 	suppliers may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
 	software without specific prior written permission.
 	* No reverse engineering, decompilation, or disassembly of this software
 	is permitted.

 Limited patent license. Ralink Technology Corporation grants a world-wide,
 royalty-free, non-exclusive license under patents it now or hereafter
 owns or controls to make, have made, use, import, offer to sell and
 sell ("Utilize") this software, but solely to the extent that any
 such patent is necessary to Utilize the software alone, or in
 combination with an operating system licensed under an approved Open
 Source license as listed by the Open Source Initiative at
 http://opensource.org/licenses.  The patent license shall not apply to
 any other combinations which include this software.  No hardware per
 se is licensed hereunder.

 DISCLAIMER.  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND
 CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING,
 BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
 FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
 COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
 INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,
 BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS
 OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
 ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR
 TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE
 USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
 DAMAGE.
*/

Even with this license Fedora, ... etc are able to distribute them.

--
«Allá muevan feroz guerra, ciegos reyes por un palmo más de tierra;
que yo aquí tengo por mío cuanto abarca el mar bravío, a quien nadie

* Re: FW RT307x/RT309x
@ 2010-03-30 19:39 Xose Vazquez Perez
From: Xose Vazquez Perez @ 2010-03-30 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, linux-wireless

Luis Correia wrote:

> Sorry, you can do whatever you want, but I, representing the rt2x00
> team cannot back you up in this.
>
> The distributions surely aren't getting the firmware files from source
> code, when they are available with a clear license in the
> manufacturer's website.
>
> We also do not condone any (mis)use of those firmware files.
> However support will only be given to people using firmware obtained
> from Ralink.

those file of fw are inside source code, and directly downloaded from ralink !
http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2

And ALL ralink fw licenses are the _same_. Source code, web and zip_files
have the same text.

--
«Allá muevan feroz guerra, ciegos reyes por un palmo más de tierra;
que yo aquí tengo por mío cuanto abarca el mar bravío, a quien nadie
impuso leyes. Y no hay playa, sea cualquiera, ni bandera de esplendor,
que no sienta mi derecho y dé pecho a mi valor.»

* FW RT307x/RT309x
@ 2010-03-29 21:24 Xose Vazquez Perez
From: Xose Vazquez Perez @ 2010-03-29 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless, users

hi,

to make the RT307x and RT309x chips work, the drivers
rt2800usb and rt2800pci need to load rt307x.bin and
rt3090.bin respectively.

FW is here:http://git.decadent.org.uk/gitweb?p=linux-firmware.git;a=tree