* Bug in driver r8169 for RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller ?
@ 2020-06-25 10:29 Bill Dietrich
From: Bill Dietrich @ 2020-06-25 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

On Ubuntu GNOME 20.04, kernel "5.4.0-39-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP",
I used fwupdmgr to check the firmware of my devices.
The RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (driver r8169)
caused an error
"failed to read firmware: Error reading from file: Input/output error".

In output of dmesg, I get:
"r8169 0000:13:00.0: Invalid PCI ROM header signature: expecting 0xaa55,
got 0x0000"

I filed a bug report with the fwupd package:
https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/issues/2197

But they say it looks like the driver is exporting an attribute "rom"
that it actually does not support, or for which it doesn't return valid
data (contents of the firmware).

Is this a driver bug ?  How can I file a bug report ?  Or if someone
else wants to do so for me (I've never filed a kernel or driver bug
report), that would be fine.

Thanks,

Bill Dietrich
bill@billdietrich.me

-- Email domain proudly hosted at https://migadu.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-06-25 10:29 UTC | newest]