* kernel panic ieee80211_agg_splice_packets+0x3d/0xc0 [mac80211]
@ 2009-07-26 17:35 Jack Lau
From: Jack Lau @ 2009-07-26 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Dear all

This is my very first post on a public mailing list where I am not into programming.  I just set up and configure Linux but have very little experience with programing except BASIC and shell scripting.

I have recently assembled a Linux server and router (no GUI) where I am using an Atheros AR9160 controller (Sparklan WMIA-268N) as an access point.  I am using Ubuntu 9.04 jaunty release but using hostapd 0.69 from the upcoming 9.10 karmic release because the one that comes with jaunty does not support nl80211.

The problem is that I am constantly getting kernel panics, each time of the same error kernel panic ieee80211_agg_splice_packets+0x3d/0xc0 [mac80211]

I have tried many compat-wireless releases including 2.6.31-rc*, daily builds and many kernels including 2.6.31-* all to no avail, even the latest one doesn't fix the problem.  The one which I have took screenshots is from kernel 2.6.28-13 with compat-wireless 2.6.30 installed.

My easiest way to reproduce the problem is to surf the web using my Windows notebook, turn wifi off using the button so that it is suddenly disconnected without de-authenticating, turning wifi back on and then surfing the web and this kernel panic comes just about every time.  The notebook is fitted with an Intel 4965AGN in 802.11n mode where I have used both XP and Vista.

I enclose screenshots of 3 occurrences, the last occurrence with the options nosmp noacpi acpi=off noapic just to see if it solves the problem but it didn't.  Most frustratingly, I hate it when I am the only person experiencing it because searching Google yields nothing with this error.

Jack
Celebrate a decade of Messenger with free winks, emoticons, display pics, and more.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/157562755/direct/01/