* rtl8812ae: high ping under load (or randomly)
@ 2020-07-06 22:24 Olivier Crête
From: Olivier Crête @ 2020-07-06 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless; +Cc: pkshih

Hi,

I have a rtl 8812ae PCI desktop card and I get really poor connectivity
in Linux. In particular, I get ping times that increase a lot if I use
the connection a lot.

What I noticed by comparing with my Intel-based laptop next to it is
that iwconfig always reports a rate of 866.7Mb/s, while the rate on my
laptop fluctuates in the 100-250Mb/s range. I tried forcing the rate
with iwconfig, and it seems to help a little, but it's still not good
enough. So I suspect something is wrong with the rate control?

I've played around with the various rtlwifi module options and they
don't help.

I was suggested disable ASPM, but my motherboard doesn't seem to
support ASPM at all.

On the same computer, the card works as advertised in Windows, so I'm
pretty sure it's a driver/software issue.

I'm testing with kernel 5.6.19 and linux-firmware 20200619. And the
card is a TP-Link Archer T4E.

Please let me know how I can help debug this,

--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete@ocrete.ca

* Re: rtl8812ae: high ping under load (or randomly)
@ 2020-07-15 18:52 ` Olivier Crête
From: Olivier Crête @ 2020-07-15 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless; +Cc: pkshih

Hello,

Any help on how to debug this would be greatly appreciated.

Olivier