* ath9k initvals-tool - integrity checks | reformat | synchronize
@ 2010-04-21  7:29 Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-04-21  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless
  Cc: doug.dahlby, Atheros Internal ath9k development team,
	Cliff Holden, Zhifeng Cai, Pavel Roskin

In the v2 patch cover letter for AR9003 I noted how I had started some
simple initval userspcae tool to check the integrity of the initvals.
Since we also had some discussions about the possible format changes
for it I've gone ahead and extended the same tool to also reformat our
initvals to any format we like and at the same time allowing us to
verify the integrity is kept. This same tool can now be used by us at
Atheros to check for changes quickly between our Atheros HAL and the
ath9k_hw module. I've written some docs how to do all this here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_hw/initvals-tool

We have a few initval patches not yet submitted for AR9003, once we
shoot those out, and they get merged, we can then start talking about
the preferred format we want for these initvals and rewrite
ath9k_hw_print_initval() to our liking, and then keep using that
moving forward. We will still need to eventually merge these same
files into the Atheros HAL so we just have the same initvals
style/format everywhere but this should help somewhat with this. The
Atheros HAL uses some other tool to generate the initvals, that will
just need to be modified to accommodate the desired upon style on
Linux and we can finally move on with other things to synchronize.

Let me know if you have any questions.

  Luis

* Re: ath9k initvals-tool - integrity checks | reformat | synchronize
@ 2010-04-21 13:06 ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2010-04-21 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez
  Cc: linux-wireless, doug.dahlby,
	Atheros Internal ath9k development team, Cliff Holden,
	Zhifeng Cai, Pavel Roskin

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:29:26AM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> In the v2 patch cover letter for AR9003 I noted how I had started some
> simple initval userspcae tool to check the integrity of the initvals.
> Since we also had some discussions about the possible format changes
> for it I've gone ahead and extended the same tool to also reformat our
> initvals to any format we like and at the same time allowing us to
> verify the integrity is kept. This same tool can now be used by us at
> Atheros to check for changes quickly between our Atheros HAL and the
> ath9k_hw module. I've written some docs how to do all this here:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_hw/initvals-tool

Just as an aside, I'd like to thank you for the amount of information
you have added to the Linux Wireless wiki.  It is a really great
resource for our community.

Thanks!

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.