linux-xfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* xfsprogs-6.5.0 with grub 2.12~rc1-12: unknown filesystem
@ 2023-11-19 20:16 Martin Steigerwald
From: Martin Steigerwald @ 2023-11-19 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-xfs

Hi!

On recovering from some crazy filesystem corruption, probably related to
"thou shalt not resume from this hibernation image" (posts on linux-btrfs
mailing list, I can share link if curious), gladly no loss of important
data involved, I recreated XFS based /boot with

xfsprogs-6.5.0 (12 Oct 2023)
[…]
        mkfs: enable reverse mapping by default (Darrick J. Wong)
        mkfs: enable large extent counts by default (Darrick J. Wong)

After that GRUB started being funny on me:

update-grub => grub-mkconfig and grub-install both told me:

unknown filesystem

grub-probe revealed that grub did not like to recognize new XFS based
/boot filesystem. So /boot is Ext4 now. I don't really care.

This is with grub 2.12~rc1-12 on Devuan Ceres.

I read on internet that similar funny stuff happened as Ext4 gained
features. Could this be the case here as well?

Is this a known issue? I bet it needs a bug report to the GRUB developers?

Sometimes I like booting to be simpler than that. *Much* *simpler* *than*
*that*. With less moving parts that could do crazy things.

Reminder to self: Don't start crazy experimentation adventures like
"trying out BCacheFS with some 6.7-almost-rc2-i-dont-like-to-hibernate-
kernel" (well the BCacheFS part of the adventure basically worked as
expected as far as I can tell).

Ciao,
--
Martin

* Re: xfsprogs-6.5.0 with grub 2.12~rc1-12: unknown filesystem
@ 2023-11-19 21:06 ` Anthony Iliopoulos
From: Anthony Iliopoulos @ 2023-11-19 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Steigerwald; +Cc: linux-xfs

On Sun, Nov 19, 2023 at 09:16:20PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On recovering from some crazy filesystem corruption, probably related to
> "thou shalt not resume from this hibernation image" (posts on linux-btrfs
> mailing list, I can share link if curious), gladly no loss of important
> data involved, I recreated XFS based /boot with
>
> xfsprogs-6.5.0 (12 Oct 2023)
> […]
>         mkfs: enable reverse mapping by default (Darrick J. Wong)
>         mkfs: enable large extent counts by default (Darrick J. Wong)
>
> After that GRUB started being funny on me:
>
> update-grub => grub-mkconfig and grub-install both told me:
>
> unknown filesystem
>
> grub-probe revealed that grub did not like to recognize new XFS based
> /boot filesystem. So /boot is Ext4 now. I don't really care.
>
> This is with grub 2.12~rc1-12 on Devuan Ceres.
>
> I read on internet that similar funny stuff happened as Ext4 gained
> features. Could this be the case here as well?

Yes this is due to enabling the large extent counts (nrext64) feature.

> Is this a known issue? I bet it needs a bug report to the GRUB developers?

See:
https://lore.kernel.org/grub-devel/20231026095339.31802-1-ailiop@suse.com/

Regards,
Anthony

* Re: xfsprogs-6.5.0 with grub 2.12~rc1-12: unknown filesystem
@ 2023-11-19 22:28   ` Martin Steigerwald
From: Martin Steigerwald @ 2023-11-19 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Iliopoulos; +Cc: linux-xfs

Anthony Iliopoulos - 19.11.23, 22:06:53 CET:
> > Is this a known issue? I bet it needs a bug report to the GRUB
> > developers?
> See:
> https://lore.kernel.org/grub-devel/20231026095339.31802-1-ailiop@suse.com/

Thank you, Anthony.