linux-xfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* how to restore a snapshot in XFS ?
@ 2024-05-12 12:30 Bernd Lentes
From: Bernd Lentes @ 2024-05-12 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-xfs

Hi,

I just created a XFS Partition to store raw images of qemu domains on it.
I create snapshots of these files with cp --reflink.
Is that the correct way ?

Now I want to go back to such a snapshot. How do I achieve this ?
Just copy the snapshot over the original ?

Thanks.

Bernd

--

Bernd Lentes
SystemAdministrator

Helmholtz Zentrum München – Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstraße 1, D-85764 Neuherberg, https://www.helmholtz-munich.de
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Matthias H. Tschöp, Dr. Michael Frieser | Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir’in Prof. Dr. Veronika von Messling
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München HRB 6466 | USt-IdNr. DE 129521671

* Re: how to restore a snapshot in XFS ?
@ 2024-05-12 17:51 ` Alexander Puchmayr
From: Alexander Puchmayr @ 2024-05-12 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-xfs

On Sonntag, 12. Mai 2024, 14:30:12 CEST Bernd Lentes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just created a XFS Partition to store raw images of qemu domains on it.
> I create snapshots of these files with cp --reflink.
> Is that the correct way ?
>
> Now I want to go back to such a snapshot. How do I achieve this ?
> Just copy the snapshot over the original ?

I'm following this strategy for several years now, in in case I need to
restore from such a "backup", I use cp --reflink when copying the snapshot over
the original.
Without the --reflink you'd get a completely new copy of your snapshot, and
when producing new snapshots they will not have anything in common with your
previous snapshots --> more disc space.

Alex