linuxppc-dev.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* RE: Regarding select() on PPC
@ 2008-09-23  5:01 Sadashiiv, Halesh
From: Sadashiiv, Halesh @ 2008-09-23  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: benh; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

EFAULT.

>> This needs to be verified, I have proposed patch for PPC32, Please
check
>> the link
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/735922
>>

>I'm trying to sort out how obsolete it actually is and see if we can
>remove the whole thing.

Ok...once you verified please let me know.

>Your patch should be submitted to the linuxppc-dev mailing list btw.

Will do that.

>Ben.

Thanks,
Halesh

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the =
individual or entity named above and may contain information that is =
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that =
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly =
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us =
immediately by return email or telephone and destroy the original =
message. - This mail is sent via Sony Asia Pacific Mail Gateway.

* RE: Regarding select() on PPC
@ 2008-09-23  5:11 ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2008-09-23  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sadashiiv, Halesh; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

> >Your patch should be submitted to the linuxppc-dev mailing list btw.
> >

> Will do that.

Don't bother for now. The right approach would be to just
get rid of the wrappers I believe. I'm sorting that out.

Ben.

* Re: Regarding select() on PPC
@ 2008-09-23  5:46 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2008-09-23  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded; +Cc: Sadashiiv, Halesh

On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Sadashiiv, Halesh wrote:

> >I'm trying to sort out how obsolete it actually is and see if we can
> >remove the whole thing.
> >

> Ok...once you verified please let me know.

I just did some more research. The bug was introduced with Linux-2.1.48,
the same version in which Pauls name first appeared as the PPC guy
in the MAINTAINERS file, over 11 years ago.

Before that, ppc used to have distinct implementations for oldselect
(__NR_select) and select (__NR__newselect), because initially it shared
the syscall numbers with i386 and that had replaced its oldselect
with newselect in 1.3.0.

In essence, oldselect was already obsolete before it was introduced
in the powerpc architecture, but for obscure reasons, some code
must have confused the two calling conventions, so Cort introduced
the wrapper that could handle either one, and used it for both
syscalls. This of course made it theoretically impossible to ever
fix the implementation without potentially breaking user space one
way or another.

The 32 bit emulation code never implemented a call behind __NR_select
or the oldselect calling conventions, so anything relying on
the legacy behaviour is broken there already.

I would definitely switch over the ppc32 __NR_newselect implementation
to sys_select. For __NR_select, there is no correct solution, the three
options are the current ppc_select, the real sys_select or sys_ni_syscall.
Each of these is broken in different ways, but in practice it will never
be called anyway.

I love archeology.

	Arnd <><

* Re: Regarding select() on PPC
@ 2008-09-23  5:56   ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2008-09-23  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: Sadashiiv, Halesh, linuxppc-embedded

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 07:46 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> I would definitely switch over the ppc32 __NR_newselect implementation
> to sys_select. For __NR_select, there is no correct solution, the three
> options are the current ppc_select, the real sys_select or sys_ni_syscall.
> Each of these is broken in different ways, but in practice it will never
> be called anyway.
>
> I love archeology.

Any idea when glibc got fixed ?

Ben

* Re: Regarding select() on PPC
@ 2008-09-23  6:01     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2008-09-23  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: benh; +Cc: Sadashiiv, Halesh, linuxppc-embedded

On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 07:46 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > I would definitely switch over the ppc32 __NR_newselect implementation
> > to sys_select. For __NR_select, there is no correct solution, the three
> > options are the current ppc_select, the real sys_select or sys_ni_syscall.
> > Each of these is broken in different ways, but in practice it will never
> > be called anyway.
> >
> > I love archeology.
>
> Any idea when glibc got fixed ?

No, sorry, I don't have a git history that I can search for that.
I have a strong guess that it would be the end of the last century
though, probably before 2.3.48, since the comment in there already
refers to legacy binaries.

	Arnd <><

* Re: Regarding select() on PPC
@ 2008-09-23  6:29       ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2008-09-23  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: Sadashiiv, Halesh, linuxppc-embedded

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 08:01 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> No, sorry, I don't have a git history that I can search for that.
> I have a strong guess that it would be the end of the last century
> though, probably before 2.3.48, since the comment in there already
> refers to legacy binaries.

Yeah, I'm keen to rip it out.

Ben.

* Re: Regarding select() on PPC
@ 2008-09-24 21:46           ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2008-09-24 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: Sadashiiv, Halesh, linuxppc-embedded

> If that is true, then _any_ syscall that takes an int value must have
> a ppc specific sign-extending compat wrapper, are you sure that is
> the case ?

Ok, so that's crap that has been bitrotting. We -do- need to sign extend
everywhere and it looks like we forgot to do it on anything recent, like
signalfd4...

Ben.

* Re: Regarding select() on PPC
@ 2008-09-24  7:08         ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2008-09-24  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: Sadashiiv, Halesh, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2008-09-24  6:45       ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2008-09-24  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded, benh; +Cc: Sadashiiv, Halesh

@ 2008-09-24  6:28     ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2008-09-24  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: Sadashiiv, Halesh, linuxppc-embedded

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 08:23 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >
> > > Means argument checking in ppc_select() can be removed??
> > > Than shall I post patch to linuxppc-dev@ozlabs.org
> >
> > ppc_select can probably be removed alltogether and ppc32_select too
>
> I think ppc32_select needs to stay. It never did the hack for
> supporting the old_select calling conventions, but it does the
> sign extension for the 32 bit arguments, which I think you still
> want.

Why do we want it ?

It's an int, it's zero extended, but that should still be a valid signed
32 bits int in compat_sys_select() or do I miss something ?

Ben.

> In any way, both the 32 bit emulation and the native ppc32 code
> path should do the same thing, which currently they don't.
>
> 	Arnd <><

* Re: Regarding select() on PPC
@ 2008-09-24  6:23   ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2008-09-24  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: benh; +Cc: Sadashiiv, Halesh, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2008-09-23  9:31 Sadashiiv, Halesh
From: Sadashiiv, Halesh @ 2008-09-23  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: benh; +Cc: Arnd Bergmann, linuxppc-embedded

Ok, directly sys_select() can be called instead of wrappers.

@ 2008-09-23  9:07 ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2008-09-23  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sadashiiv, Halesh; +Cc: Arnd Bergmann, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2008-09-23  7:16 Sadashiiv, Halesh
From: Sadashiiv, Halesh @ 2008-09-23  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: benh, Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

@ 2008-09-23  5:27 Sadashiiv, Halesh
From: Sadashiiv, Halesh @ 2008-09-23  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: benh; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Ok.Will wait, thanks a lot

@ 2008-09-23  4:55 ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2008-09-23  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sadashiiv, Halesh; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

@ 2008-09-23  4:50 Sadashiiv, Halesh
From: Sadashiiv, Halesh @ 2008-09-23  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: benh, Josh Boyer; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Hi,

The below testcase requires to exit with setting errno as EINVAL, as per
the man page.

I tested this on ARM, I686, PPC64 it was fine, for the same on PPC32 it
used exit with errno set as EFAULT.

On further investigation found there was some long obsolete code in
arch/powerpc/kernel/syscalls.c (function ppc_select()), which was
written in 2.2.0 kernel for PPC32 specific , which resulted in EFAULT.

This needs to be verified, I have proposed patch for PPC32, Please check
the link
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/735922

Please find the below testcase.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{

 int fd;
 fd_set rfds;
 struct timeval tv;
 int ret_val;

 if ((fd =3D open("test_file", O_RDWR|O_CREAT, 0664)) < 0)
  {
    printf("Open failed\n");
  }

  FD_ZERO(&rfds);
  FD_SET(fd, &rfds);

  /* Wait up to five seconds. */
  tv.tv_sec =3D 1;
  tv.tv_usec =3D 0;

  if ( (ret_val =3D select(-1, &rfds, NULL, NULL, &tv)) < 0)
  {
    if ( errno =3D=3D EINVAL)
      printf("OK\n");
    else
      printf("Not OK, Got errno %d\n", errno);
  }
  exit(0);
}

Thanks,
Halesh

@ 2008-09-23  4:42   ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2008-09-23  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Boyer; +Cc: Sadashiiv, Halesh, linuxppc-embedded

@ 2008-09-22 15:30 Sadashiiv, Halesh
From: Sadashiiv, Halesh @ 2008-09-22 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Boyer; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Thanks for the quick reply...

Will check the details.

>Also, there is a comment above this function that eludes to some issues
>with select on ppc32.  You might want to ask the overall PowerPC
maintainer
>if that issue still exits.

I have also posted in http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/735618

Still no reply from any maintainer.

@ 2008-09-22 15:24 ` Josh Boyer
From: Josh Boyer @ 2008-09-22 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sadashiiv, Halesh; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

@ 2008-09-22 15:15 Sadashiiv, Halesh
From: Sadashiiv, Halesh @ 2008-09-22 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Boyer; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

The issue is found only in PPC32.

Please let me if the patch is applicable.

+++ arch/powerpc/kernel/syscalls.c      2008-09-22 20:47:23.885126056
+0530
@@ -211,6 +211,9 @@
 int
 ppc_select(int n, fd_set __user *inp, fd_set __user *outp, fd_set
__user *exp, struct timeval __user *tvp)
 {
+   if ( n < 0 )
+       return -EINVAL;
+
    if ( (unsigned long)n >=3D 4096 )
    {
        unsigned long __user *buffer =3D (unsigned long __user *)n;

Thanks,
Halesh

@ 2008-09-19 16:53   ` Dale Farnsworth
From: Dale Farnsworth @ 2008-09-19 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linuxppc-embedded

I wrote:
> Interesting.  The man page for select says that select should return
> EINVAL when the first argument is negative.  By that, only ppc32 is
> correct.  :)

Sorry.  I should read before posting.  Please ignore my extraneous
comment above.

-Dale

* Re: Regarding select() on PPC
@ 2008-09-19 14:53 ` Dale Farnsworth
From: Dale Farnsworth @ 2008-09-19 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linuxppc-embedded

@ 2008-09-19 14:28 Sadashiiv, Halesh
From: Sadashiiv, Halesh @ 2008-09-19 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Boyer; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Thanks for the info,

I am using PPC32, I think it doest not matters on 2.6.16 as I manually
checked the select source with 2.6.23 and no changes seen.
&
Even the same testcase passes on MIPS32 with 2.6.16.

@ 2008-09-19 14:19 ` Josh Boyer
From: Josh Boyer @ 2008-09-19 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sadashiiv, Halesh; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

@ 2008-09-19 13:30 Sadashiiv, Halesh
From: Sadashiiv, Halesh @ 2008-09-19 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

=09
	if ( errno =3D=3D EINVAL)
Need to change it to errno, still not works.

>      printf("OK\n");
>    else
>      printf("Not OK, Got errno %d\n", errno);
>  }
>  exit(0);
>}
>

>For negetive value of n (first argument to select) select fails with
EINVAL
>error,
>
>But for the same when I tested for PowerPC it was giving EFAULT,
>Its on 2.6.16 kernel.
>
>Please let me know, If this is fixed or it's a issue in PPC.
>For other archs its working fine.
>

>Thanks,
>Halesh

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the =
individual or entity named above and may contain information that is =
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that =
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly =
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us =
immediately by return email or telephone and destroy the original =
message. - This mail is sent via Sony Asia Pacific Mail Gateway.

* Regarding select() on PPC
@ 2008-09-19 11:50 Sadashiiv, Halesh
From: Sadashiiv, Halesh @ 2008-09-19 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hi all,

[...]

But for the same when I tested for PowerPC it was giving EFAULT,=20