linuxppc-dev.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* MSI-X vector allocation failure in upstream kernel
@ 2010-10-05 17:18 Anirban Chakraborty
From: Anirban Chakraborty @ 2010-10-05 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev; +Cc: Ameen Rahman

Hi All,

I am trying to test qlcnic driver (for 10Gb QLogic network adapter) on a Po=
wer 6 system=20
(IBM P 520, System type 8203) with upstream kernel and I do see that the ke=
rnel is=20
not able to allocate any MSI-X vectors. The driver requests for 4 vectors i=
n pci_enable_msix,
which returns 2. The driver again attempts, this time for 2 vectors but the=
 kernel can't allocate=20
and it returns a value of 0xfffffffd. I upgraded the system FW to 01EL350 (=
from 01EL340)
 just to make sure if MSI-X is enabled in the system. Is there anything tha=
t I am missing?=20

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

thanks,
Anirban Chakraborty=

* Re: MSI-X vector allocation failure in upstream kernel
@ 2010-10-08  1:26 ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2010-10-08  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anirban Chakraborty; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, Michael Ellerman, Ameen Rahman

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 10:18 -0700, Anirban Chakraborty wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to test qlcnic driver (for 10Gb QLogic network adapter) on a Power 6 system
> (IBM P 520, System type 8203) with upstream kernel and I do see that the kernel is
> not able to allocate any MSI-X vectors. The driver requests for 4 vectors in pci_enable_msix,
> which returns 2. The driver again attempts, this time for 2 vectors but the kernel can't allocate
> and it returns a value of 0xfffffffd. I upgraded the system FW to 01EL350 (from 01EL340)
>  just to make sure if MSI-X is enabled in the system. Is there anything that I am missing?
>
> Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

I think the people who can help you at the moment are on vacation :-)

Can you make sure kernel debug is enabled and you have "debug" on the
kernel command line, and send the full dmesg log of what's going on ?

Hopefully, Michael will be back next week and will be able to have a
look at it.

Cheers,
Ben.

* Re: MSI-X vector allocation failure in upstream kernel
@ 2010-10-13  1:51 ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2010-10-13  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anirban Chakraborty; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, Ameen Rahman