linuxppc-dev.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Device Tree
@ 2008-09-09 15:43 Georg Schardt
From: Georg Schardt @ 2008-09-09 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hi,

im searching for informations about the flatten device trees. the only
thing i know is, that the device tree is a kind of data-structure which
the bios or bootloader gives to the operation system.

until now, i boot linux with uboot without a device tree, but newer
kernel wants a devicetree, i think ??
i use a virtex4 board with an integrated powerpc

how can i create the device tree file ?
how must the linux kernel be configured ?
is there a good internet page with informations ?

thanks
regards
georg

* Re: Device Tree
@ 2008-09-09 17:33 ` Josh Boyer
From: Josh Boyer @ 2008-09-09 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georg Schardt; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 05:43:12PM +0200, Georg Schardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> im searching for informations about the flatten device trees. the only
> thing i know is, that the device tree is a kind of data-structure which
> the bios or bootloader gives to the operation system.
>
> until now, i boot linux with uboot without a device tree, but newer
> kernel wants a devicetree, i think ??
> i use a virtex4 board with an integrated powerpc
>
> how can i create the device tree file ?
> how must the linux kernel be configured ?
> is there a good internet page with informations ?

In the kernel, look at Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt

You could also read the "A Symphony of Flavours: Using the device tree to
describe embedded hardware" paper on page 27 of:

http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2008/ols-2008-Proceedings-V2.pdf

josh

* RE: Device Tree
@ 2008-09-09 18:11 ` John Linn
From: John Linn @ 2008-09-09 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georg Schardt, linuxppc-embedded

Hi Georg,

Our git tree, git://git.xilinx.com, has support for the ML405 board
which is a V4 board. The following wiki page, http://xilinx.wikidot.com,
shows how to generate a device tree for the kernel and other details
you'll need.

The kernel from our git tree is configured for the device tree using the
default kernel configuration.

The mainline kernel is now more up to date also as we got many of the
changes into the mainline, but we are still working on some of the
device drivers.

Thanks,
John

This email and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the named r=
ecipient(s) and contain(s) confidential information that may be proprietary=
, privileged or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intend=
ed recipient, do not read, copy, or forward this email message or any attac=
hments. Delete this email message and any attachments immediately.

* Re: Device Tree
@ 2008-09-09 18:19   ` Georg Schardt
From: Georg Schardt @ 2008-09-09 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Linn; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Hi John,

yes, i found the wiki link in another post of you. nice , thank you.
can you tell me how to generate the dts file in the EDK 10.2 ?  i have
read that the gen_mhs_devtree script is now integrated ? i see no
menu-item or config option ?

regards
georg

@ 2008-09-09 18:24     ` John Linn
From: John Linn @ 2008-09-09 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georg Schardt; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

It is not integrated into the EDK, you need to pull it from our git tree
and use it from the EDK.

-- John

Here's part of the wiki page.

Generating a Device Tree

The Linux kernel from the git tree has device tree files, ml507.dts and
ml405.dts, in the arch/powerpc/boot/dts directory which are designed to
work with the hardware reference designs available from this site. Users
who have a Xilinx board, ML405 or ML507, should build the Linux kernel
using the provided dts file to get a solid baseline before generating a
new device tree file. After a baseline is established, the new dts files
can be compared to the existing to verify any differences.

The page, Generating A Device Tree, has details on how to generate a
device tree for the arch/powerpc Linux kernel.

@ 2008-10-29 21:04             ` Sébastien Chrétien
From: Sébastien Chrétien @ 2008-10-29 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Sealey; +Cc: Sébastien C, linuxppc-dev

Thank for your answers.
Sébastien

Matt Sealey a écrit :
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 18:08 -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:
>>> It's far more common than people might think at first glance. With x86
>>> I am sure it would benefit the platform a little more if the OF support
>>> was in-line with the shared code between PPC and SPARC (and now I
>>> guess,
>>> ARM) but nevertheless it's an Open Firmware platform and something that
>>> appeared not too long ago.
>>>
>>> OF is still a going concern; if you want a nice flexible firmware, why
>>> not use it? Most of the implementations are open source (FirmWorks and
>>> CodeGen trees, and the Sun reference design) too.
>>
>> And SLOF :-)
>
> I guess OpenBIOS counts too :)

* Re: Device Tree
@ 2008-10-01 13:09           ` Matt Sealey
From: Matt Sealey @ 2008-10-01 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: benh; +Cc: hrétien, Sébastien C, linuxppc-dev

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 18:08 -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:
>> It's far more common than people might think at first glance. With x86
>> I am sure it would benefit the platform a little more if the OF support
>> was in-line with the shared code between PPC and SPARC (and now I guess,
>> ARM) but nevertheless it's an Open Firmware platform and something that
>> appeared not too long ago.
>>
>> OF is still a going concern; if you want a nice flexible firmware, why
>> not use it? Most of the implementations are open source (FirmWorks and
>> CodeGen trees, and the Sun reference design) too.
>
> And SLOF :-)

I guess OpenBIOS counts too :)

--
Matt Sealey <matt@genesi-usa.com>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations

* Re: Device Tree
@ 2008-10-01  3:24         ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2008-10-01  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Sealey; +Cc: hrétien, =?UTF-8?B?U8OpYmFzdGllbiBD?=, linuxppc-dev

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 18:08 -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:
> It's far more common than people might think at first glance. With x86
> I am sure it would benefit the platform a little more if the OF support
> was in-line with the shared code between PPC and SPARC (and now I guess,
> ARM) but nevertheless it's an Open Firmware platform and something that
> appeared not too long ago.
>
> OF is still a going concern; if you want a nice flexible firmware, why
> not use it? Most of the implementations are open source (FirmWorks and
> CodeGen trees, and the Sun reference design) too.

And SLOF :-)

Cheers,
Ben.

* Re: Device Tree
@ 2008-09-30 23:08       ` Matt Sealey
From: Matt Sealey @ 2008-09-30 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Van Baren; +Cc: hrétien, linuxppc-dev

Gerald Van Baren wrote:
> Matt Sealey wrote:
 >>
>> The Toshiba TOPAS910 ARM development board also runs Open Firmware and
>> contains patches to support OF device trees.
>>
>> I dare say there might be an x86 box or two out there, too. But they
>> have ACPI tables too which is far more common..
>
> More than a box or two: lots of OLPC XOs out there now.  ;-)
>     <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Open_Firmware>

I was thinking more in a platform kind of numbers rather than a sales
kind of numbers, but you're right.

@ 2008-09-30 22:30     ` Gerald Van Baren
From: Gerald Van Baren @ 2008-09-30 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Sealey; +Cc: Sébastien Chrétien, linuxppc-dev

Matt Sealey wrote:

> Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> S=E9bastien Chr=E9tien wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I have a question about Device Tree.
>>> Is Device Tree found only only on Linux Powerpc ?
>>
>>   Not only Linux as it's a part of Open Firmware which is also used at
>> least on SPARC.
>
> The Toshiba TOPAS910 ARM development board also runs Open Firmware and
> contains patches to support OF device trees.
>
> I dare say there might be an x86 box or two out there, too. But they
> have ACPI tables too which is far more common..

More than a box or two: lots of OLPC XOs out there now.  ;-)
    <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Open_Firmware>

Best regards,
gvb

* Re: Device Tree
@ 2008-09-30 15:22   ` Matt Sealey
From: Matt Sealey @ 2008-09-30 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergei Shtylyov; +Cc: Sébastien Chrétien, linuxppc-dev

@ 2008-09-29  8:51 ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2008-09-29  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Chrétien; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 08:24 +0200, Sébastien Chrétien wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a question about Device Tree.
> Is Device Tree found only only on Linux Powerpc ?

Sparc also uses open firmware and shares some of the device-tree
handling code with powerpc in linux. Other operating systems on those
platforms also use it (AIX, Solaris, MacOS, ...)

I think the proposed new Xilinx microblaze architecture also uses it,
and at least on x86, the OLPC has an Open Firmware implementation though
it doesn't use the device-tree the way we do currently on powerpc and
sparc and has its own interface to the firmware.

Ben.

* Re: Device Tree
@ 2008-09-29  8:25 ` Sergei Shtylyov
From: Sergei Shtylyov @ 2008-09-29  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Chrétien; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

Hello.

Sébastien Chrétien wrote:

> I have a question about Device Tree.
> Is Device Tree found only only on Linux Powerpc ?

   Not only Linux as it's a part of Open Firmware which is also used at
least on SPARC.

WBR, Sergei

From: Sergei Shtylyov @ 2008-09-29  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Chrétien; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

Hello.

Sébastien Chrétien wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a question about Device Tree.
> Is Device Tree found only only on Linux Powerpc ?

   Not only Linux as it's a part of Open Firmware which is also used at
least on SPARC.

WBR, Sergei

* Device Tree
@ 2008-09-29  6:24 Sébastien Chrétien
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sébastien Chrétien @ 2008-09-29  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

Hello,
I have a question about Device Tree.
Is Device Tree found only only on Linux Powerpc ?

Thanks
Sébastien