linuxppc-dev.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* resurrecting the mvme5100 ppc platform
@ 2010-02-04 13:39 Paride Legovini
From: Paride Legovini @ 2010-02-04 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

Hello,
I'm just started working on some mvme5100 boards, and so I discovered
that support for these cards has been dropped with linux-2.6.27 due to
lack of interest. Here is the relevent post on linuxppc-embedded:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org/msg30049.html

Well, I'd really like to see support for the mvme5100 to be reintegrated
in the kernel. I'm willing to help on this, but at the moment I don't
know how much work is to be done, as I don't know how the switch from
ppc to powerpc changed things.
If anybody of you is interested please drop me an email.

Thank you,
Paride

* Re: resurrecting the mvme5100 ppc platform
@ 2010-02-08 11:21 ` Gabriel Paubert
From: Gabriel Paubert @ 2010-02-08 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paride Legovini; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 01:39:35PM +0000, Paride Legovini wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm just started working on some mvme5100 boards, and so I discovered
> that support for these cards has been dropped with linux-2.6.27 due to
> lack of interest. Here is the relevent post on linuxppc-embedded:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org/msg30049.html
>
> Well, I'd really like to see support for the mvme5100 to be reintegrated
> in the kernel. I'm willing to help on this, but at the moment I don't
> know how much work is to be done, as I don't know how the switch from
> ppc to powerpc changed things.

A lot, these are PreP platforms. I'm using several MVME24xx/26xx/27xx
here (some have been running continously over a decade). They have
a lot of similarities with MVME5100 if I remember correctly.

I don't have time right now (especially if I am alone) to write
support for them, but I am interested in running a more recent
kernel, provided it's not too bloated (some machines only have
16MB of RAM).

	Regards,
	Gabriel

* Re: resurrecting the mvme5100 ppc platform
@ 2010-02-18 15:34   ` Paride Legovini
From: Paride Legovini @ 2010-02-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Paubert; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:21:16PM +0100, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 01:39:35PM +0000, Paride Legovini wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm just started working on some mvme5100 boards, and so I discovered
> > that support for these cards has been dropped with linux-2.6.27 due to
> > lack of interest. Here is the relevent post on linuxppc-embedded:
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org/msg30049.html
> >
> > Well, I'd really like to see support for the mvme5100 to be reintegrated
> > in the kernel. I'm willing to help on this, but at the moment I don't
> > know how much work is to be done, as I don't know how the switch from
> > ppc to powerpc changed things.
>
> A lot, these are PreP platforms. I'm using several MVME24xx/26xx/27xx
> here (some have been running continously over a decade). They have
> a lot of similarities with MVME5100 if I remember correctly.
>
> I don't have time right now (especially if I am alone) to write
> support for them, but I am interested in running a more recent
> kernel, provided it's not too bloated (some machines only have
> 16MB of RAM).

This is quite discouraging, I think I'll just keep using linux-2.6.26.8,
the last kernel supporting the mvme5100 (afaik). I'd like to work on
a patch for newer kernels, but I have to finish a project in a
reasonable time, so unfortunately I can't start studying these kernel
internals now. Anyway, if you'll feel like working on it tell me, I'll
be happy to help.

Paride